Monday, January 27, 2014

The Cutting Fields


I'm not sure how much of my nose I'll have left when I'm 60. I'd prefer to keep all of it, but skin cancer seems to have a claim, and it's an opponent I have yet to conquer.

When I was a child, I was sometimes told I had a "pug" nose, so I added it to my list of "Those Things I Wish God Had Done Differently." But my thoughts changed when the doctor started cutting bits of it away. Suddenly my nose was most beautiful, and I desperately wanted to keep it. 

Even now, there's a cancer growing there. I've known about it for several months, buy I'm too chickenhearted to go under the knife again. My fear and vanity run deeper than this cancer. Those bright lights, the scalpel, the anesthesia wearing off before the cutting is done, the infection they tell you rarely happens (but it happened to you), the disfigurement, the tears, the sometimes months of healing--you don't forget them too soon, and the second time is only worse because now you know what to expect. 

And no doubt the fact that my last biopsy went a bit wrong has something to do with my denial and delay. It's not cool when the doctor misses a spot and cuts healthy tissue. But it happens.

Doctors misdiagnose. They prescribe the wrong medicine and misjudge the dosing. They cut more than is necessary just to be safe. They often guess at what's wrong with you. 

But how much good they do, too! I'm thankful for the skilled surgeon who has delivered my babies. I'm thankful for the skilled surgeon who put a bar in Ink's chest and then removed it years later. I'm thankful for the skilled surgeon who preserved Luke's eyesight. Yes. For all the mistakes, doctors do good, and we put ourselves under their care, knowing they're fallible.

In the flesh, my body is a cutting field. My back, my arm, my forehead, my nose--they've all seen the knife and there are scars to show it.

And my soul is one, too. 

God is that Master-Pruner. Everyday He's cutting away at those things that don't honor Him. It's painful, and He doesn't give me treatment options.

He doesn't need to. His cuts are perfect. The right spot. The right amount. The right timing. No guessing. No overdosing. No "oops, I'm so sorry. I needed to cut away at your unteachable spirit, but instead I hacked away at _______."

Perfect pruning.

And just like those surgeons who get the cutting right, God is doing me good. But the difference is that He is doing good all of the time.

Still, I fight it. I forget it. I resist His methods and His means--the difficult people, the interruptions in my day, the disappointments, the losses, the unkind words, disobedient children, rude drivers, broken appliances, the struggle to keep walking in His ways. And, I often tell Him with my murmuring and unsubmissive spirit what I'm saying when I refuse to deal with this cancer on my face--I'd rather stay this way. I'd rather have this cancer grow and require more cutting, and, "By the way, dear God, I'd rather you not make me more like Jesus."

Yep. I have trust issues. And pride issues.

But He'll also cut away at those, whether I want Him to or not. 

And He'll do it perfectly.

Thanks be to God.

With love,
Trisha




22 comments:

  1. You. Are. Precious. And, I love you! Praying, sweet friend...praying! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Trisha. I'm praying for you. So thankful for your precious words here. Yes, He is completely trustworthy to cut away the sin we want/try to hold onto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trisha, thank you for your words today. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trisha, I am so blesed by your posts. I would love to tell you about a natural cream that we use for skin cancers. We don't sell it or profit from it, but have used it successfully, Email me if you're interested. suzannenew at g mail

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you, dear Trisha. May God be closer than you now imagine as you traverse this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah Trisha, and so you too are being transformed. "And He'll do it perfectly." Amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! May God continue to give you much comfort and peace during this new chapter of your life. {{HUGS}}

      Delete
  7. There is another piece to yesterday's sermon. There sandwiched in between Jesus' revelations of His own demise is unspeakable *glory* on the Mount of Transfiguration. The glory of the revelation at His baptism, the 'gateway' into His Galilean ministry, is eclipsed by the glory at the transfiguration...the glory that is attached to the eternal purpose of His coming in flesh. Don't miss the fact that sanctification, that denial of self...taking up of the crossbeam...is tied up in that glory, too. What He is doing in you, and will do perfectly, is *glorious.*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pastor. Your encouragement is always a blessing.

      Delete
  8. Love you, Trisha. ((hugs)) I will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you, too, dear Jessica! Thank you for praying!

      Delete
  9. Oh, Trisha! {{{hugs}}}

    You have an adorable nose. :) But being around to raise all these babies is more important, so go get it pruned, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trisha - I'm so sorry, and pray the pruning will be much smaller and heal quicker than you expect.
    I've had cancer on my face surgically removed too and know that feeling every time I go in for a skin check.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to hear from you, Diane! And thank you for your kind words and your prayers!

      Delete
  11. I'm so sorry. I've had a "precancerous dysplastic" mole removed from my back with a 2" scar still, 7 years later, and actual cancer removed from the crown of my head in 2012. They had to shave a square of hair to do the surgery, and the hair on the scar will never grow back. It's mortifying, and that's not a bad thing. A very uncomfortable thing, but not a bad thing, as you already point out. My heart goes out to you as a sister who understands, but I pray God's courage into you to obey what He's giving you. I pray this surgery would go completely smoothly, that the minimum necessary tissue would be cut, and that the healing would be uneventful and infection-free. As the Sara Groves song says, may our Lord hasten the day when these surgeon's marks look "less like scars, but more like character."

    You are beautiful, no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Sara Groves. How did you know? :) Thank you for sharing what you've been through. I am SO sorry! What a trial! And I thank God for the grace He's given you and for the compassion you have for my own situation. Your words are a blessing. {{HUGS}}

      Delete

Your comments are always a gift! Thank you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...