Monday, February 10, 2014

Notes From Home

Allie has been with us for over a week, and our time together has been delightful. We're trying to enjoy these last few days to the fullest. I've pinched her at least a hundred times to make sure she's real.

She graciously helped Emma sew a skirt that she's been waiting to make for over two years now. Isn't it lovely?



I've been thinking much about how hard it is for Christians to rejoice with one another. I think the pagans are much better at that than we are. And I think these words from Michael O'Brien, in his book Island of the World, describe well one of the problems with church families not being able to disagree, even fight, and still make up and love one another and forgive.

"Yes! Minds and hearts alive!," Simon continues. "Here, we can struggle and debate and disagree because we are free to speak in an open forum. We are fighting and thinking because we trust one another."

Maybe we don't trust each other very much, and maybe we don't trust God and His wisdom in putting us in the church families we're in. 

I've been using Professor Horner's Bible Reading System since the beginning of the year, and I love it! I timed myself for the month of January, just to get an idea of how long it takes for an average reader to read ten chapters of the Bible. I finished every time in less than 30 minutes, and most often in less than 25. I jot down the verse references I want to return to and do my studying after reading all of the chapters. Even in this short time of using this system, I've obtained a familiarity with my Bible that amazes me.

I finally made a roasted tomato soup that was a hit. It's so simple, and I like that it calls for fresh tomatoes instead of canned ones. BUT, I'd love to know if you have a favorite homemade tomato soup, please, canned tomatoes or not! 




Roasted Tomato Soup

8 medium tomatoes
olive oil
pinch of salt
1 c. chicken broth
3/4 c. heavy cream
1/2 tsp. thyme

Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Core tomatoes, and rub the outsides with a little olive oil. Sprinkle some salt in the center. Place tomatoes on a jelly-roll pan, and roast for approximately 4 hours. The tomatoes won't be burned, but browned. Refrigerate until ready to use. Peel skin off roasted tomatoes. In a blender, add the remaining ingredients, and process until you get the texture you like. Pour soup into a saucepan, and heat till nearly boiling. Enjoy!
 (recipe from Leanne Ely's Saving Dinner the Low-Carb Way)

Have I mentioned my favorite wine before? Here it is. Chariot. I've only found it at Trader Joe's. If you ever decide to visit the Poff Funny Farm, you'll get extra chocolates on your pillow at night if you show up with a bottle of this.


All of Ink's siblings adore Allie. And they're always trying to get in the middle, too. Here Elijah is quite successful. And super-cute, as well.


My morning routine usually starts before the sun rises. I always gasp a bit when I get to see His handiwork of breathtaking colors for that brief moment in time before it all disappears.


This month marks the 5 month anniversary of my brother-in-law's death. My heart rejoices every time I speak to my sister and hear joy in her voice. It has been a hard 5 months, and the days ahead will continue to be hard, but God has sustained her. She has many Ebenezers to remind her of His goodness.

Our family prayer this year is Romans 12:9-13, and my word for the year is TRUST. And this month we're memorizing 1 Corinthians 13 again.

Finally, I like this reminder from Anna Quindlen.

"It is so easy to waste our lives: our days, our hours, our minutes. It is so easy to take for granted the pale new growth on an evergreen, the sheen of the limestone on Fifth Avenue, the color of our kids' eyes, the way the melody in a symphony rises and falls and disappears and rises again. It is so easy to exist instead of live."

And as Christians, it's so easy to get caught up in being busy, even busy with very good things, that we forget how blessed we are, how many mercies God is pouring out on us every minute of every day.

Mercies like sunrises, roasted tomato soup, home and family, godly future spouses for our children, church families, wine, fabric and sewing machines, and trusted friends.

With love,
Trisha


10 comments:

  1. Emma, your skirt is beautiful! I'm so proud of you =)
    Allie, we need to meet!
    Trisha, that soup looks delicious and is definitely going on my menu sometime soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caity, Emma beamed after hearing your comment. Thank you! And yes, I can't wait for you to meet Allie. Love you!

      Delete
  2. Lovely post my friend. I enjoyed all of it. And, I was thinking of your sister just the other day....thank you for the update. Praying for her right now. Hugs to you! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for faithfully praying for my sister and for encouraging her with your notes. She's so grateful, dear Camille! Love you!

      Delete
  3. I love the Anna Quindlen quote, it is beautiful. The pic of Allie & Emma touches me. I think of Erin when I see Emma, I have an assumption that they are quite similiar. I am very thankful ya'll have all enjoyed your time with Allie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. You are a blessing to me!

      Delete
  4. I haven't been on blogger for a LONG time, and I have missed out on wonderful news. I know you will continue to enjoy your time with Allie. Emma, you did a wonderful job on the skirt, and your smile is just a treasure. And the wine.....you've been holding out on me if you know of a good wine. My aunt bought me a chocolate wine which I have enjoyed, but I am still not a big wine lover (although I sure do sleep so much better with a small glass before bed.) I will have to look for this one...... (Sorry about deleting my other post....I hit the button too soon.... :( )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! The Chariot wine is not a sweet one. Ah, a chocolate wine--Ben has tried one he likes as well. Can you believe that a girl with a sugar tooth like mine doesn't like sweet wine? :)

      Delete
  5. Loved this visit with you all today. Have I missed something? Is Allie a future daughter in law? She certainly is lovely and how sweet that she helped Emma with her beautiful skirt. Emma herself is growing into a beautiful young woman, and so quickly it seems.
    The Anna Quindlen quote is going into one of my journals. Just wonderful. And as for your soup, thanks for sharing and I will be making it very soon. Wish I had all the ingredients now as we are experiencing a big snow storm. I especially love soup when it is snowy weather.
    Take care, dear heart. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you got my e-mail, dear Sandy. :) I do hope you like the tomato soup, and I'm always glad to share quotes with another commonplace book keeper!

      Delete

Your comments are always a gift! Thank you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...