***Update: I corrected my wording about Introverts in the Church from "far outweigh" to "do not outweigh." That was a confusing blooper! AND, it's snowing! :)
We're cozied up inside hoping for the forecasted snowstorm to arrive today. I'm reminded that we often want Jesus to be like our snow storms, enough to make us feel warm inside, but not so much that we're troubled or inconvenienced or have to change anything.
Other notes from home:
Traditions: Advent crept up on me this year, and I didn't have my traditional calendar made for our children. I was stressed a bit, but then decided to just let it go, knowing the past several months have been harder than usual. What sweet confirmation it was to hear our Pastor's good words this past Sunday as he reminded us that Advent is often celebrated according to the life season we're in. For some of us, it will mean just getting through the day and doing our routine. For others it will mean regular traditions or perhaps modified ones.
Without a schedule, I'm trying each day to add in something special. If it doesn't happen that's ok. (I am doing a different version of Ali Edwards December Dailies. I'm simply using what I have around here, and my pictures include Advent and will go into January, too.)
We've managed to: enjoy doughnuts from Krispy Kreme, watch a Muppet Christmas Carol, make tortilla snowflakes and paper snowflakes, and savor cider made in the coffee pot!
Bible Reading and Memorization: Everyone is reading the book of Philippians this month. All four chapters. Every day. MacArthur mentions this as one way of becoming very familiar with a book in the Bible, and since our children are memorizing Philippians, it seemed a good way to end the year.
Music: We're listening to lots of Christmas music and singing it, too. Each year, it's been a tradition to buy at least one new cd, but I've decided we'll be very satisfied with all the music we already have. The older children and my Beloved will be enjoying a performance of Handel's Messiah next weekend.
Family: Grandma left yesterday after being with us for a month. She gave lots of hugs and read lots of stories and helped Emma finish another cross stitch project. In just a few weeks, my Mom (MeMaw) will be with us to celebrate Christmas and the New Year.
Decorations: The tree will be real this year. Costo had just lovely, affordable ones last year, that we've decided to try it again. There will be lights outside, too, and maybe on the mantle this year if I can make it work. And do you know what a difference it makes to simply freshen up the paint on all of your inside doors? :)
Food: This week I made several new recipes, macaroni and cheese in the crockpot, apple cider in the coffee maker, and chicken salad. I'll share them in another post.
Heart Tending: Our Pastor's sermon on Sunday reminded us to beware of abiding sins in our lives. I'd almost call those "respectable sins," like Jerry Bridges. They're the ones that we simply get too comfortable living with. It's our prayer that God would do major heart surgery and bring repentance and victory.
Movies: We finally watched Elf last week. I know it's a favorite for many, but I wouldn't show it to the Littles. Our favorite movie this time of year is still George C. Scott's version of A Christmas Carol (and yes, that can be scary for some Littles..).
Books: I just finished a wonderful biography of Elizabeth Prentiss. I'm savoring Gilead by Marilynne Robinson, and I'm trudging my way through Introverts in the Church. It's the first book this year that I'm having to make myself finish. Any good points, and it does have some, do not outweigh the mishmash of postmodern thought and mystical leanings. Sadly, it's recommended by influential women bloggers, as well as Trevin Wax at The Discerning Reader. I'm wondering if we read the same book. Tonight we start reading The Lamb of God by Russ Ramsey for Advent.
Thanks-giving: I'm thankful for toilets that work just fine and heat to keep us warm. I'm thankful Grandma had a safe flight home and that we were able to enjoy her company for a month. I'm thankful that everyone is healthy right now....no coughs or colds or flu. I'm thankful for warehouse clubs that sell cheese in 5 lb. packages and cinnamon sticks in bulk.
I'm thankful for a Pastor who knows his flock and cares for us. I'm thankful he speaks to the needs of our church body and prays for us.
I'm thankful that God doesn't give up on us when we battle the same sins over and over. I'm glad He gives us the grace to do hard things and love others when we think it's impossible.
I'll post pictures tomorrow. It's a good thing I write to remember, for I'm sure I've lost most of you by now. :)
Much love,
Trisha
Making Your Home an Oasis
3 years ago

It seems like posmodernism and mysticism are being accepted by Reformed readers more and more - its both scary and heartbreaking. Most of it seems to boil down to a rejection of Sola Scriptura and an elevation of feelings and experience over Biblical truths. Feeling close to God through unbiblical practices has become more important than actuall being close to God by availing ourselves of the means of grace that God has ordained in Scripture.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your days with us. It is just a beautiful way to feel closer to you, dear sister. <3
ReplyDeleteLove you!
what a lovely update of the Poff clan! It made me smile to know your Momma will be near...Both of you need that time I'm sure!
ReplyDeletelove,
Michelle
Thanks for giving a little glimpse into your life, Trisha. I'm so glad your mom will have the holidays with you.
ReplyDeleteI was interested in reading the introvert book, but now I"m not so sure. Sometime I hope you'll share more details.
(How do you make tortilla snowflakes?)
Thank you for visiting my blog! I enjoyed my visit here at yours. Your family is beautiful and I love how you're instilling the Word of God in them! Beautiful! Enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeleteTrisha,
ReplyDeleteLove this post. Thanks for sharing your advent doings. You are amazing - you shepherd your littles flock with a thoughtful, humble heart and great care. What a blessing and an encouragement you are.
Have a lovely day, friend,
Jojo
Ha! You didn't lose me! These tidbits in your life over the last while are nice to read.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Tami
You did not lose me either. I love all the picture at the top of your two cuties. Sweetness~
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading about the rhythm of your life right now. It sounds comforting, relaxing, cozy and fun as well as some yummy thrown in there :-)
~Cinnamon
Sounds like lots of fun is going on at your house!
ReplyDeleteLove to you all,
Nicole
I always enjoy reading about your
ReplyDeletedaily activities. Philippians is
one of my favorite books. Love the
pictures, of course. It all makes
me feel closer to you.
HUGS,
MEMAW
I haven't been "blogging" in a while, but what a blessing it was to read your post and see first thing that it's "OK to let go of some of those traditions." I, too, have felt overwhelmed this season. We don't even have our tree up!! I feel behind and anxious about all of our traditions that I can't seem to find the time to fit into our calendar, and then I read your post. With guilt this afternoon, I threw out the idea of not doing gingerbread houses but really decorating cookies - all out - this year instead. I feel guilt no more, thanks to you! Thank you for being honest and transparent in not being able to do it all. I know I needed to hear that. We love you all and pray you're staying warm!!
ReplyDeleteI'm learning to not throw out everything just because I can't get to some things. It is a struggle for a perfectionist like me to not do everything the way I've done in the past. I'm learning to let things go and be okay with it. Why is that so hard for women? I'm glad to see I'm not the only person that sometimes struggles to do this. By the way, I read to the last word, and would have read farther had you kept going. I always enjoy visiting here.
ReplyDelete