Friday, January 13, 2012

Big Soft Ginger Cookies and an Ethics Question

My oldest daughter made these for us the other day, and they are yummy! Think of it as a soft version of a gingersnap.


Big Soft Ginger Cookies

2-1/4 c. flour
2 t. ground ginger
1 t. baking soda
3/4 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground cloves
1/4 t. salt
3/4 c. butter, softened
1 c. white sugar
1 egg
1 T. water
1/4 c. molasses
sugar for rolling

Preheat oven to 350. Sift together flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the water and molasses. Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture. Let dough rest for 40-50 minutes (this will make it easier to handle...it is very soft! You might think it's too soft to work with, but it will form into balls just fine.)

Shape dough into walnut sized balls and roll in sugar. Place on cookie sheet and flatten slightly (the bottom of a glass works great).

Bake for 8-10 minutes and allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack. Store in airtight container.

**recipe from AllRecipes

Now for the ethics questions, which we've been debating around our home of late.

Is it ok for a Christian to have a "secret recipe"? That means when someone asks you for the recipe, you would say, "Oh, I'm sorry. I don't share that recipe with others. It's a secret."

I'm waiting for your answers, with a why or why not, of course! :)

Happy eating and thinking!

Love,
Trisha



12 comments:

  1. I have a secret recipe (2 actually). I never have thought about as a Christian. But I could see where it might be a problem. But if you want to get divulge your secret recipes. I'll gladly listen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. I guess my initial response would be that we should share the gifts that God has given us with others, that they may be blessed by them.
    But, I wouldn't go so far as to say its a sin to have a secret recipe - I think that it falls into the category of Christian liberty and we need to act according to our consciences and not make laws that God hasn't given.
    I had a secret recipe that I guarded for a long time, one that I created myself and took a lot of pride in. However, not sharing did eventually tweak my conscience a bit, so its no longer a secret.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why it would be wrong, you're telling the truth about it as opposed to lying. Just be willing to share the dish when asked if you don't want to share the recipe. haha, might be easier to just share the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica-what was the recipe I want to know it now? LOL
    That is a hard question-not sure it would really be considered a sin but if you feel like the Holy Spirit is convicting you about it then I would say it is. I tend to be a very black and white type of person but when things are not clearly spelled out in the bible I think God convicts each of us in different way on things like that and we are to respond to those convictions in the way He has led us.
    I too think we should share the gifts God has given us and I personally would not be able to look someone in the eye and say I couldn't share a recipe, I would feel too bad, I tend to be a people pleaser and I just don't think I could do that.
    Just my two cents-I will gladly share any recipe I have-I love to cook and love new recipes and enjoy sharing them. :)
    Love you-hope you have a blessed weekend.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a good question. I wouldn't know how to answer, but I'm enjoying the other comments:)


    Christian liberty, I think. I don't see any prohibitions to having secrets in the bible (that I know of).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I personally have no problem keeping some recipes a secret - that being said, I would rather have my secret recipes passed down from generation to generation, so I have my secret recipes written down ready to pass on to my children. :)

    I personally wouldn't even think of it being an ethics issue - however, if your conscience doesn't sit well with it, then perhaps it is a sin to you. Our conscience is God's voice in our hearts and we should never ignore it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm.....those look A - mazing! Thank you for sharing. With respect to the ethics question, yes, it is absolutely appropriate for a Christian to have a secret recipe! See below and you will agree that secrets are in-keeping with our Father's character! He he!

    Revelation 2:17: "To the one who conquers I will give some of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, with a new name written on the stone that no one knows except the one who receives it.’"

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cookies look great, good job big girl :)

    I've always thought secret recipes were silly, unless you are Bush's beans (or any other business). Anyone should feel flattered when asked for your recipe. What are you afraid of by not sharing it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I haven't ever felt the need to keep a recipe a secret. Maybe that is because I'm not that great of a cook so when someone does want a recipe I am all excited! So, I'm just no help at all to you, am I?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, thanks everyone for chiming in! I appreciate all of the different perspectives. Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What's wrong with a family tradition that is kept in the family? It's just like any other secret. *shrug* I haven't seen anything in the Bible about secrets being sin, but I have read about talking too much. ;) Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Re: secret recipes, the question for me is why is it being kept a secret in the first place, not whether secrecy in itself is wrong.

    Is it a proprietary recipe for a business?
    Is it passed down in the family like a legacy?
    Is it pride and competition - wanting to be known for a certain dish and liking the recognition?
    Is it selfishness in not wanting to share?

    Thanks for the ginger cookie recipe, they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always a gift! Thank you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...