At the end of the year, and the first week of the new one, too, our family does at least six things to welcome the New Year.
1) Pick the year's Bible reading plan (and add a new notebook, if needed). We're off the common path of reading through the Bible in a year and instead we're continuing with the reading of an entire book of the Bible every day for 30 days. January's book is Colossians. All of us found reading through Philippians for the month of December to be very beneficial. We'll be reading through Proverbs at lunch and the Psalms at dinner. Our Pastor is currently teaching from Isaiah. So even though I am concerned about spending most of our time in the New Testament, our family is exposed regularly enough to the "big picture" that I don't think a year of mainly working our way through the Pauline epistles will be harmful. :)
2) Decide on a Family Focus: I wrote about this at my Multitude of Mercies blog. Our Family Focus is our family's theme for the year. Last year was "A Passion for Prayer." This year's focus is "Christian Love." Thus, most of our group readings will be focused on this topic, as well as the hymns we learn and the Scriptures and poetry we memorize.
The books we plan to read this year about Christian love are:
Charity and Its Fruits by Jonathan Edwards
Christian Love by Hugh Binning
Chapters from A Christian Directory by Richard Baxter
Love in Hard Places by D.A. Carson
Chapters from Wayne Mack's Manuals for Biblical Living
The Fruitful Life: The Overflow of God's Love Through You by Jerry Bridges
Love Walked Among Us: Learning to Love Like Jesus by Paul Miller
Various writings about love and charity at Monergism.
3) Write thank you letters to those who impacted our lives in a significant way in 2011. I still remember getting a letter from a friend years after we'd moved away from each other in which she told me that I was the primary influence in her coming to Christ. If not for that letter, I never would have known that she'd even remembered those gospel-centered conversations around the table. Every one of us has at least one person to thank from the previous year (or years ago if that's who the Spirit brings to mind) for touching our lives or encouraging us in a special way.
4) Evaluate our time. Time sheets are great for this as we're asking ourselves in what areas we need to spend more time and in what areas we need to cut back.
5) Ask ourselves how we've grown in the knowledge of Jesus Christ in the past year. A stagnant Christian life is dangerous. Each year we should be growing in our relationship with the LORD, and reviewing how God has been at work in us over the past year is just one way we work out our salvation with fear and trembling. If you don't know where to start, pray about it, and also ask your family to share how they've seen you grow.
6) Make reading lists. The list isn't a chain but a guide. I read very few books from last year's list. God had other plans for my time. BUT, the list kept me focused and kept me from reading only in one genre, which is my tendency. It's delightful to sit around the table as a family and encourage each other's list making, too, and my Mom even participated this year!
What's at least one thing you and your family always do to welcome another year?
With love,
Trisha
Making Your Home an Oasis
3 years ago
This is a very useful post! I'm going to write these thoughts down and apply them. I already started a 100 day Bible reading plan called "The Essential Jesus." Besides this, my husband and I are reading the book of Hebrews together. - I like the idea of sending thank you notes and it just so happens that I got some new thank you notes in my stocking this year!
ReplyDeleteThose are excellent suggestions, Trisha. I hope you'll share any gleanings from the books on Christian love.
ReplyDeleteBTW, beautiful new header pic.
This is a very good word and I have decided to listen to the Bible throughout this year. I will of course be reading and studying as usual but I am listening at The Streaming Bible from Genesis all the way through. I am enjoying it.
ReplyDeleteLOVE THE HEADER PHOTO!!!
xoxo~
I LOVE this post. Some of those ideas I've we do personally - but have not done as a family. HMMMMM...
ReplyDeleteOne thing I always do is pick a scripture for the year. This year it is late in coming... usually something's been bubbling up - just waiting to be focused on.!
Have a great year, and thanks for the post, I'll be revisiting it to journal your ideas - they are great.
Love to you,
Jojo
Sounds like a wonderful way to start the year and what a way to promote Christian growth.
ReplyDeleteBlessings on your new year...your header is precious
Thank you, Stephani! Wow...100 days. I'll have to check that out, and I think it's a very SWEET thing to be reading together with your husband.
ReplyDeletePersis,
I'm hoping to be much better about sharing reviews of books I'm reading, and I still haven't forgotten about doing the one we "talked" about earlier. Yeah, my children are kinda cute, aren't they? :)
Sandy,
Ooh, listening is very good. We like Alexander Scourby and will listen to our memory passages each morning. Thank you for your good words about the header, too! Love to you!
JoJo,
Yes, the Scripture is something I did this year, too. And I have to tell you, there's something about doing these things as a family that brings such unity. I hope some of the ideas are a blessing to you. Love to you, too!
Janette,
Thank you, my friend. Happy New Year to you, too, and Christ's richest blessings upon you.
I recieved Hugh Benning's book this Christmas, and I'm looking forward to reading it. :)
ReplyDeleteI don't know how many times I will to go through the Bible this year. I think I'll do the ten-chapter-a-day reading plan again (although that's hard to do some days!), and that's in addition to family reading of course. :) But it's a wonderful way to familiarize oneself with all the books of the Bible in a sort of crash course. :) And the back of my Geneva is half full of last years' noted verses.
It's unanimous--the month's header is precious! :) I need you to come and give me capture-that-moment lessons. You must carry that camera on you all the time!
I just loved reading your personal and family goals. Your family is so blessed Trisha.
ReplyDeleteAnd the theme of Christian love is one that has been ringing in our ears much of late too. It's the most important thing of all - without it we are nothing!
Much love to you!
diane
Really helpful post. You sound so organised about the year. I recently refound your post about teaching children doctrine. I had printed it out and it was under some other papers-I had used some of the ideas but on rereading need to use more. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteReading words like these help me get pretty excited about a new year, journeying along ladies like you is always a joy!
ReplyDeleteI agree with what Diana had to say, Christian Love is sometimes quite neglected, and this should not be like this. I pray God will help us build one another in love this coming year.
Love you, sister!
Love your ways listed here and how you welcome the new year! We've never done a yearly family theme, but I like that idea. You wanted to know how I like the Bible plan I'm doing, and I must say that I LOVE it! 7 days in, of course, but it's not burdensome at all and God has blessed me greatly already with fresh seeing. But I do believe anything that we do according to His will and devote to Him and His glory will be a breeding ground for blessing! He's creative that way, and that's why I appreciate people like you who tell HOW you do life and how the LORD has blessed your particular "hows."
ReplyDelete