My son, you know it doesn't take much for me to cry, but I wasn't prepared for the emotions I'd feel this morning when I realized it's your last day of high school. I remember agonizing over the "perfect curriculum" for you when we started our first day of school 13 years ago. It was Calvert. Expensive and more than we needed. But it made me feel like a teacher. (Because, at that point, no one reminded me that I had been your teacher from day one.)
This is the moment I'd hear other mothers speak of, but because it was so far away for me, I couldn't grasp how bittersweet it would be. Those doubts are vying for attention--did we do well by you? Did we do enough?
I remember when I first whispered my concerns to you. It was an affront to you, for wondering if I had taught you well implied we weren't pleased with the man you are and continue to become. How far from true this is! But, in this sin-cursed world, guilt seems to be in the air a mother breathes, so the questions creep in, and the best weapon against them is His Word.
And His Word is where you often point me. What mother wouldn't say that her children have taught her far more than she feels she's taught them? You are no exception. You have taught me new things and reinforced those truths I already know.
You've taught me fun things, like learning to love fiction and movies and soundtracks. You've taught me that birthdays don't require cake, for pies will do just as well, if not better.
You've taught me that I second-guess myself to an extreme, and that I make hasty judgments and rulings from parent-court when I'm stressed about other things. You've taught me that two people can argue intensely about something without it coming between them, like after we've disagreed, and you say, "Hey, Mom, did you know...?"
You've taught me contentment as I've watched you cheerfully live within our means, not once complaining that our bank account wasn't bigger or that we couldn't give you more---a car, a paid-for college education, a bedroom of your own...
You've taught me submission to God's will as you've endured painful surgery and a three-year long process of healing. There was no fist-shaking from you or "why me?"
But most of all, you have taught me with your life that God is faithful and gives the increase. The grace you've extended to this wretch of a Mom, because, yes, I am, astounds me, and I know you can only give me grace because of the grace He has worked in you. John said there was no greater joy than to know his children walked in truth, God's truth, and this is our joy, too. To watch you end these high-school days as a young man who firmly grasps the truth of the gospel, who firmly clings to the truth of His Word, who loves His Savior and desires to glorify Him, is the greatest joy of our homeschooling journey with you.
God is faithful, my son. May He always find you so in whatever He calls you to do.
I love you more than you'll ever know.
Love,
Mom
What a beautiful testimony of God's grace and faithfulness! I'm sharing in both your tears and celebrating today as I read this. What a joy to see your son grow in faith!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, Ink, on your last official day of highschool!
Much love to you all!
Tears with you my dear. God has given you wonderful children to take care of, and although I'm far away & don't see the daily, I think you are doing a great job! Congratulations Corey!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful. Good encouragement for us just starting the journey.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! Congratulations Ink!
ReplyDeleteAnd that right there is from the bottom of your bottomless heart.
ReplyDeleteApplauding all the way as you remember Him and how He's guided you at this momentous time. You've mothered long and well, Trish. It shows on him. What a gift!
-E
Such heart felt words and a wonderful young man. They teach us so much along this journey. Lessons I would have not learned or maybe even resisted to learn elsewhere. God is so good to be in the center of all we do for Him.
ReplyDeleteYou are so blessed!
~Cinnamon
Congratulations, Corey!
ReplyDeleteDoesn't it feel odd to be old enough to graduate?!
Congratulations, Corey! Well done!
ReplyDeleteTrisha, you made me cry too. :)
This was beautiful, congratulations to your son
ReplyDeleteWonderful words Dear Friend,
ReplyDeleteWow, I can't believe he's already graduating! I remember first meeting you and he was only 11! Congratulations on a job well done, and Praise the Lord for bring you all here!
Nicole
Truly blessed! You and Ink and all of your family.
ReplyDeleteYEAH!!! What a wonderful day of excitement, hope, anxiousness (in an excited way), and just pure joy at what GOD has done through you this moment. An obedient mother who took that leap of faith and raised this boy for HIS purposes. There is nothing more powerful than the encouragement from a mother who LOVES the LORD!!! So proud of you, Trisha, and so excited to see where GOD takes Ink next!!!
ReplyDeletePraising HIM with you,
Prairie Momma
Beautiful, Trisha. And just from what I've gleaned of Corey in the confines of an internet friendship, I'd say you've done a marvelous job. What an exceptional young man!
ReplyDeleteCindy
Trisha.
ReplyDeleteWhat beautiful words you've imparted to Corey. You have been a wonderful mother, and teacher. The fact that all of this was done under your faith, and trust in God is a testament to the Godly mother are. Congratulations Corey!. I know you are on your way to truly amazing things in your life.
Love,
Aunt Catherine
Congratulations, Ink. I have been blessed to watch you grow from a tiny baby to the godly young man you are today. Love you.
ReplyDeleteMemaw
Precious post. What a rich heritage. The LORD does all things well. Congratulations to you both for achieving this milestone. May the LORD lead and guide in the days ahead and use you for HIS glory each step of the way. Blessings to you! Camille
ReplyDelete