Saturday, January 7, 2012

Favorite Reads from 2011 and the January Giveaway

In no particular order, with this word of caution: Remember that a recommendation doesn't mean I agree with every word written by an author. I do, however, believe it's an edifying book that won't lead you astray in your Christian walk. As always, measure a book by God's Word and use the discernment He's given you.

1) Humility by C.J. Mahaney: Mahaney instructs with passion and compassion and much practicality. Not one to leave the reader wondering where to begin in cultivating a spirit of humility, he lays out clear suggestions wrapped in reminders of God's grace. This is one of my top recommendations for family and church unity.

2) Why We Love the Church by Kevin DeYoung and Ted Kluck: "The church manifests itself in churches. And churches do certain things and are marked by certain characteristics." 
In case you haven't noticed, there's a huge attack on the local church today. And it isn't coming from the pagan. As I was flipping through an "anti-church" book at Barnes and Noble, I was deeply grieved. Even if you're settled in your belief in the importance of being part of the local church, you must make sure your children understand why. The lie that we can just gather at Starbucks and not be under the authority of or accountable to a local church body will face our children at every turn. In this book, DeYoung and Kluck provide a sound primer, infused with much humor, for why being part of your local church is important. I literally shouted, "Go Kevin!" while reading this book. :)

3) Just Do Something by Kevin DeYoung: This book radically changed the way I look at knowing "God's will." Truly a must read that will free you from the bonds of fear-based indecision.

4) Basics for Believers: An Exposition of Philippians by D.A. Carson: Oh, how I wished Carson had written one of these expositions for many more books of the Bible! This is a short and edifying read, packed with much wisdom and encouragement and conviction. Don't miss it! It's very understandable, and while I've finished reading it on my own, each morning I'm reading through it with our children. Carson is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors.

5) Gilead by Marilynne Robinson: My personal reading in 2011 was very weak on fiction, and I'm reminded of it over and over by Ink. I'm glad I finally gave this book a try, though, for I was immediately captivated by Robinson's beautiful prose as well as her insight into the human heart as she shares the story of an aging father writing to his very young son. It's one time that I wished I was reading on a Kindle BECAUSE I was wanting to highlight so many passages!

6) Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life by Don Whitney: This book has caused quite a stir in some circles as Whitney has been accused of embracing mysticism and making a "discipline" out of things that aren't really disciplines of the Christian life. That said, this was still one of my favorite reads last year, one that I'll re-visit often, and one that all of our children will read. I didn't find anything "mystical" about Whitney's writings, and he's heavy on Puritan quotes. I think any of us can turn suggestions into legalism. That's often the reader's fault, not the author's. Highly recommended.

7) Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper: I know. I'm just now reading this. Actually, we're reading it together during our group time. Technically, it should be a 2012 book, but I wouldn't want to wait that long to recommend it. Everything we do should be for God's glory, and Piper clearly demonstrates how that truth manifests itself in our everyday living.

8) Spurgeon's Sermons on Prayer by C.H. Spurgeon: If you can only read one book about prayer this year, read this one. Spurgeon encourages and admonishes while sharing his passion for prayer as only he can. You will find your prayer life infused with much faith and hope after reading his sermons. (Valley of Vision and Matthew Henry's A Method for Prayer are wonderful books for teaching us what to pray and how to pray based on Scripture.)

9) Grieving, Hope, and Solace by Albert N. Martin: This is the one book I'd give to someone who has known the death of a loved one. I read this in a couple of days in December, and I was blessed by the compassion and encouragement that were strongly grounded in God's Word. The author has been there, and his determination to grieve in a manner that glorifies the Lord is a testimony of God's grace in his life. His words spur those of us who are grieving to do the same. While he specifically focuses on the hope we have in Christ Jesus when we die, this book is perfect for the unsaved, too, including a very strong presentation of the gospel.

10) The Real Scandal of the Evangelical Mind by Carl Trueman: I can tell my comprehension is improving when I can read something by Trueman and actually "get it." This is a seemingly neglected gem of wisdom that every Christian should read.


From the product description:
Fifteen years ago in The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind, historian Mark Noll warned that evangelical Christians had abandoned the intellectual aspects of their faith. Christians were neither prepared nor inclined to enter the intellectual debate, and had become marginalized. Today Trueman argues, "Religious beliefs are more scandalous than they have been for many years"-but for different reasons than Noll foresaw. In fact, the real problem now is exactly the opposite of what Noll diagnosed¯evangelicals don't lack a mind, but rather an agreed upon evangel. Although known as gospel people, evangelicals no longer share any consensus on the gospel's meaning. 



"If the church as a whole is losing its ability to be 'salt and light' in the culture, it is not because its members have no opinion of the films of Bernardo Bertolucci, no appreciation for the poetry of Emily Dickinson, and no regular slot on the Charlie Rose show. More likely , it is because they do not have a solid grasp of the basic elements of the faith, as taught in Scripture..." ~Trueman


I can't NOT give away one of these books, you know. In fact, I'm giving away two:
Basics for Believers AND Why We Love the Church. If you have one of the books already, you can always bless someone else with your winning copy.


Just leave a comment letting me know your favorite book read in 2011. Only US entries please, and be willing to provide your phone number if you win, since I'll be shipping directly from Amazon. Ok, if you didn't have a favorite read, I'll include you, too, if you leave a comment letting me know to put your name in the drawing.


I'll announce the winning name next Friday, January 13th.


Happy Reading!
Trisha

14 comments:

  1. Favorite book? Probably Shaping the Christian Family by Elisabeth Elliot. or my moat needed for encouragement was Loving the Little Years by Rachel Jankovic.

    I would love to read DeYoung's book! Thanks for hosting another good giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,
    That's one of my favorites, too! I loved that book and was so encouraged by it. I haven't read Jankovic's book, yet, but have only heard great things about it. Thanks for entering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please enter me, Trisha. I really like Carson and my copy of the DeYoung book is on long-term (probably permanent) loan.

    My fav for 2011 is The World Tilting Gospel by Dan Phillips.

    I definitely need to check out Carl Truman's book. I appreciate his razor sharp insight at Ref21.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Persis,
    Yes, World Tilting Gospel is on my 2012 list. I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more exposure. Corey though much of it, just like you do. I wish Trueman's book was available in hard copy....looks like it's just on Kindle. But, you should be able to read it from your computer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your new blog header picture! It's radiant!

    I, too love DeYoung's book -- I read it 2 years ago...My favorite book for 2011 was: The Reformation: How a Monk and a Mallet Changed the World by Stephen Nichols.

    Please enter me, dear sister in your most gracious giveaway!

    Much love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear friend, we have talked about this earlier, and I also LOVE Mahaney's book. It is a book i have read more than once and will certainly read again this year.

    I wish I could say, "please enter me in this giveaway" but my plate is FULL, so I will pass on this one :)

    Love you dearly.

    And yes, happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful list! They all look so good! I think my favorites were Crazy Love by Francis Chan & Loving the Little Years by Rachel Jankovic.
    Thanks!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. "The Faith of Leap" was probably my favorite, but it's so hard to narrow it down, as you know. I love several on your list. "Just Do Something" is one of my favorites too.

    I'm particularly interested in reading "Why We Love the Church". Thanks for the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed "Give them Grace" by Elyse Fitzpatrick as it's really relevant at this time in my life. I enjoyed reading your recommendations and hope to add a few to my collection in the upcoming future. Please enter me in the giveaway. Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started drooling when I read your list. What a wonderful list!

    One favorite? Only one? Well, all right. Off the top of my head I would answer Elizabeth Prentiss' Stepping Heavenward. If I reviewed my reading list this year I might give a different answer, but I'll go with that for now--she's my favorite author anyhow. :)
    Thank you for another wonderful giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christina,
    Thank you! I think those little (and BIG) people on that fence are pretty cute!

    Wow...I've not heard of that book, but I'll note it on my TBR list, which would probably reach you in NY. HA!

    Love you!

    Becky,
    Oh, I'm sorry you're not entering, my friend, but I do understand. I'm glad you liked Humility, too, and I look forward to hearing about what you'll be reading this year. Much love!

    Jessica,
    It's so good to hear from you! I hope all has been well with you and that your heart has been resting in Him. Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hannah,
    It's great to hear from you. I have Give Them Grace on my shelf just waiting to be read. :)

    My sweet CG,
    Yay! You entered. I love Stepping Heavenward. I read Sharon James' biography of Prentiss this year and was greatly encouraged by it, even though I think James has a bit of a feminist streak running through her blood. I base that on other books I've read by her, too. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lisa,
    I know...it's too hard to pick just one! I think you'd be blessed by both of these books. Thanks for entering!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for reviewing these. My favorite read from last year was The Pilgrim's Progress. Such an excellent book!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always a gift! Thank you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...