Friday, June 29, 2012

Bite, Chew, Sputter, Sputter

Ahem, sorry, wait just a moment while a bite off a bit of the crow I'm having to eat.

{chomp, chomp}

{sputter, sputter}

Ok, it was hard going down, so I'm hoping this experience will be over soon. This is Facebook Crow, by the way.

Remember the day I said I told my children to promise me they'd never be on Facebook until I was 10 feet under? Well, I'm not 10 feet under (somebody pinch me, please), but I now have a child on Facebook. Yes, he's a man, but he's still my child.

The Ink Slinger can now be found writing on walls, though we've never ever approved of graffiti. And I guess he can be found reading what others are writing on walls, too.

Now, friends are coming out of the woodwork. Who knew that every person we know has a Facebook account?

Of course, the burning question is, If Ink is on Facebook, will Mama soon follow?

Before I answer, let me suspend my crow-eating. It really is hard to keep myself from choking AND write at the same time.

There were several considerations that went into this decision, and to be honest, my first words after Ink set up his account were, "I hope this isn't the beginning of something bad."

I know. You're flashing to the joker's question in The Dark Knight, "Why so serious?" (You just look a lot prettier, as you sit there, chuckling, and saying, "I knew they would give in.") I'll save my "why so serious?" answer for another post.

Without divulging details of private conversations, I will share that Ink made a lot of great connections in Mexico, and Facebook seems like the optimum way to maintain those connections. And I'll tell you that for now, Mama will just be watching the writing on the wall from the sidelines. In fact, you probably don't really want me to join Facebook because if I did, I'd have to eat so much crow, I'd surely choke to death. (And I'd even have a few friends ready to spoon-feed me.)

I know our hearts often revel in hearing someone say, "Never!" and then watching them do an about-face. That's ok. Revel all you want. Send the smirks and smiles my way.

Just go easy on me. Pregnant women tend to cry easily, in case you didn't know.

With love,
Trisha

19 comments:

  1. LOL. Facebook is difficult. It has many benefits and yet many drawbacks. If you do get on it, perhaps you can look at it as more of a test of discipline...? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessalyn. I know it's a balance like all forms of social media. :)

      Delete
  2. I actually asked him on Facebook if you'd be following suit. Facebook is a great way for him to stay connected. I will visit you here, Twitter, or wherever you travel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you're sweet, Kim! And thanks for being gentle on me. :)

      Delete
  3. Your post made me smile, mostly how you wrote it.

    I really enjoy Facebook. I'm pretty sure I use it even more than my kids do. It's a nice way to keep in touch with people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, then, Barbara, you got the point. I'm glad it made you smile, and everyone keeps telling me the very thing you've said...they love it as a way to stay in touch with others.

      Delete
  4. Hahahaha! You literally just made me laugh out loud!!! Not at you, but because you're just so stinkin' cute and funny and I just love you to pieces!! If you were to get a Facebook account, this gal right here would not at all spoon-feed you more crow - I'd bring out the welcome wagon! I think you'll find it's not as scary as you thought, as all things, moderation is key. I'm not on it every day...sometimes a week or two goes by before I visit again. But it is a blessing to a gal like me because I have friends from all walks of life on there, from family, to childhood friends, to former youth ministers, to new friends here in NM. I may see if Ink will accept a friend request from an old gal like me. ;o)
    I sure love you, friend!
    Tami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for laughing out loud!! :) But, friend, as I've told you before, I believe you have an unusual amount of self-control when it comes to FB. And, of course, Ink would love to have you as his friend there. Request away!! Love you!!

      Delete
  5. I said I would never join FB and I did. It's not that bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, see, Persis, that makes me feel better that there's someone else who said FB and never in the same sentence. :)

      Delete
  6. This post made me smile :) I'm just glad you're on Twitter ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hollie. It's always nice to visit with you there! xo

      Delete
  7. You eat crow so graciously and make it such fun to read about! :)

    I once did basically the same thing - I said *I* would never join Facebook... and then I joined. It IS a great way to keep in touch with people though! I've "seen" people on there that I hadn't been in contact with in almost ten years. :)

    I loved your post before this one! I always enjoy reading your blessing posts! :)

    To the KING be all the glory!
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebekah,
      I've come to the conclusion that you are a genuine sweetheart! Thank you for visiting and commenting. You're a blessing!

      Delete
  8. I never thought I would join, and there are many times during the day I consider getting off of Facebook. But with everyone living so far apart, the pictures are a great thing to see. I don't friend anyone I don't want to, and just ignore what I call "junk" like surveys and stuff. You won't be eating crow...heck you are on Twitter, and I don't even have a smart phone. LOL
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, said I would NEVER be on Facebook.
    Ever.
    Or Twitter.
    And now I'm on both.
    Please pass the crow....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trisha, you make me laugh. I have a feeling you will give in eventually. FB is what you make it. Sometimes I go weeks
    before I get on FB. MICHELE was the reason I decided to join, but now that she's gone, there are other friends from
    church I like to check out. You have such a gift of writing. Love you.

    MEMAW

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahahaha! Well, FB will definitely be more fun if you were there... :)

    P.S. And just between you and I... I also said, a day I don't remember now, that none of us would join that machinery of the devil :)

    Love you so much, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! You are cute! I have a love/hate relationship with facebook. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always a gift! Thank you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...