I've learned a few things after naming a few babies in the last few years. :)
1) As soon as you pick a name that isn't on the top 10 baby names list, it will soon be on the top 10 baby names list. Examples: Emma, Ella, Claire
2) At least one person will strongly dislike the name you pick, and at least one person will be bold enough to let you know. It might even be your friend's distant cousin, but it will be someone.
3) Baby naming is fun, and it's a privilege. We should consider well the name we're giving our children. It's theirs for life.
4) When babies are born, they often look just like the name you picked.
5) A good name doesn't come just from a great sounding name, but from who your child is in Christ and how they live for Him all the days of their lives. How many parents invest more time and thought into picking the "perfect" name than they do in training their children up for His glory?
6) If you like a name, even if no one else cares for it, stick with it. It will grow on them, and one day, they'll look at your fill in the blank and not be able to imagine her with any other name.
And now for this Sweet Baby Boy's name.....
Elijah Henry
Elijah means "The LORD is my God". Oh, it is our wish that this precious son, and all of our children, will say that all the days of their lives.
Henry is in honor of Matthew Henry, the great preacher and Bible commentary author. The set I have was passed down to me by my Dad, who read Henry's thoughts almost every day, as I do now. I've been blessed by Henry's book on prayer as well as his Family Religion, and I'm looking forward to diving into Matthew Henry by Allan Harman.
The Winner:
Thanks to all who had fun with me and guessed the name. And the winner is...
Persis
Congratulations!
With love,
Trisha
Making Your Home an Oasis
3 years ago

Thank you so much, Trisha! That picture of Elijah is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteMy first two kids' names became "popular" after we named them, too. It's weird how that works. I love the name, it's very nice. All of ours have traditional, biblical names as well. I figure one can't go wrong with those:)
ReplyDeleteWe went through the same thing of Emma becoming popular after we picked it. (My Emma was named after her great, great grandmother :) ).
ReplyDeleteThat photo of Elijah is wonderful and I love his name!
Congrats to Persis!
Elijah Henry is a wonderful name with SO much meaning! What a blessing that you will have that heritage to explain to him...all from his name!! And, yes, the name does grow on them and the family (extended) and others will grow to love it as they do them! We've had the very same experience. :) As for Emma...LOL! We were on the cusp of that one and had NO intention of naming her a popular name (let alone THE MOST popular name (tied for first) in our area the year she was born)! God is gracious to us, isn't HE? We *love* it that her name is Emma and wouldn't change a thing. I think it's pretty fun that you have an Emma too. :)
ReplyDeleteIsn't Elijah a cutie pie??!!
And congratulations to Persis! :)
Love,
Camille
Wonderful name!
ReplyDeleteI echo and come into agreement with you on that prayer for all of your children, and mine. Elijah Henry...just wonderful. Matthew Henry is also a great favorite of mine! And the picture of the little guy is just beautiful! So amazing that we can see him even now!
ReplyDeleteGod bless~
Congrats, Persis!! :D
ReplyDeleteI *love* your sons name! :) Unfortunately, dh's siblings took up most of the great Bible names INCLUDING Elijah. ;) Their names are: Amos (my dh), Joshua, Rachel, Caleb, Naomi, Esther, Elijah, Ruth, Abigail, Josiah, Ezra, and Deborah. So, we've been using a few for middle names etc. :)
Do you have an Ella too? I forgot! :D
ReplyDeleteCOngratulations on Elijah Henry!!! Sweet name for a sweet boy, what a cutie!
ReplyDeleteGreat name! Congratulations. :)
ReplyDelete3 of our 4 names are notin the top 1000 and 1 is 500-something -- not likely to jump to the top 10 soon. :). Now we have a fifth to name! Yay! It's a good thing it's a girl; I'm plum out of boy names. :)
So agree w/ the name making it's way to the top 10 list, lol! We did that w/ our Sophia in 2009. We thought we didn't know anyone named Sophia and then we find out it was #1 and #2 respectively in 09 and 10. Oh well! We love it anyway.
ReplyDeleteThe way I bypass the dissing of the name is to keep it a secret from (most) people till after the baby is born. That way, no one is going to look us in the eye and tell us what a horrible named we picked for our sweet, beautiful baby. The reason we decided to do it that way is bc my good friend's mother hated the name of her grandchild before he was born and openly told a number of people - rude. However that said, I've been thinking lately that maybe I don't really care! Let someone hate the name we choose, it's not their kid. ;)
Elijah is so cute! What a wonderful name, if GraceyAnna had been a boy that would have been her name.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fantastic name! Congratulations on your soon-to-arrive little man. I went the same route as Anon. We didn't tell anyone our baby's name until she was born. I never ran into anyone rude enough to say something to my face when I had a sweet little baby in my arms. Truthfully, I think they figured it was too late by that point!
ReplyDeleteWe found out the sex with our first and third babies, so we named them before birth. It was a mighty struggle choosing their names. After my first was born, I didn't think her name fit her at all. I even considered changing it before she turned a year old. When I was pregnant with my second, we opted to wait until the birth, and had NO options chosen before it. I woke up after a little nap, looked at her, and just knew what her name was. My husband immediately agreed with me, which NEVER happens when we name babies!
What a beautiful name!
ReplyDeleteOh I love the name you picked and so glad that I get to know it even though I didn't get to get on here to guess. Hope you are feeling well.
ReplyDeletePraying as the count down begins that all goes smoothly and that you have a blessed b-day experience with your beautiful family and Elijah. :)
We are finally slowing down with school ended, now dance and VBS and mom and dad left for NY a week ago and won't be back until Nov. now we will just have Brandon's next big hip surgery in July on the 10th. I am a little nervous as the date seems to be fast approaching. :( Praying your summer is going well. Love you sweet friend.
Love and hugs
Jill
Alleluia!!!
ReplyDeleteWonderful name for a gorgeous baby!
Love you <3