Sunday, February 5, 2012

Learn Again to Lament

Because it's in the midst of our trials and singing our own lamentations that we learn best how to comfort other hurting hearts, to show our children that true Christianity requires many sessions in the school of affliction, and to clothe ourselves in compassion and mercy to minister to those who don't know Jesus.

"...let us learn once again to lament. Read the Psalms over and over until you have the vocabulary, grammar, and syntax necessary to lay your heart before God in lamentation. If you do this, you will have the resources to cope with your own times of suffering, despair and heartbreak, and to keep worshipping and trusting through even the blackest of days; you will also develop a greater understanding of fellow Christians whose agonies of, say, bereavement, depression, or despair , sometimes make it difficult for them to prance around in ecstasy singing 'Jesus wants me for a sunbeam' on a Sunday morning; and you will have more credible things to say to those shattered and broken individuals--be they burned-out bank managers or down-and-out-junkies--to whom you may be called to be a witness of God's unconditional mercy and grace to the unloved and the unlovely. For such, as the Bible might put it, were some of you..."
~Carl Trueman, The Wages of Spin
"What Can Miserable Christians Sing"

5 comments:

  1. We sing "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam" all the time. Analeigh and I sing when she goes to be and we often sing that, it was the first song I sang as a solo in church when I was about 5 too and my mom and dad have it on tape and I now own it. My kids get a kick out of listening to it. We have had a lot of things go wrong with the plumbing this weekend and I had a pity party for myself yesterday, cried a lot, until I had to stop and tell myself this does not surprise my Lord and if I let Him He will take care of it and I will be able to give Him all the glory. My sister will hear results on her tumor tomorrow. Please if you think about it will you pray for her. Thanks
    Praying for you today. Love and appreciate you and your friendship.
    Hope you have a blessed Sunday worshipping our Lord.
    Love you
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill..this is what God was doing in my heart last night...He took me to the Psalms and I read commentary on the Psalms...a place where they cried out and also praised Him all at the same time.

    Thanks for this timely post of confirmation...I know where I will be settling in for awhile
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill,
    Yes! I am praying for your sister and for you. I know everything is overwhelming right now. I do encourage you to spend time in the Psalms. You will find so much comfort waiting for you there. I love you, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janette,
    That's exactly what I did. I camped out in the Psalms for the entire last half of 2011. And yes, it's that merciful mixture of tears and rejoicing, for truly God is worthy to be praised. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you two sweet friends so much. Thank you for your direction and prayers and sweet comments. It has been a long time since I have gone through the whole book of Psalms. I am going to do that starting tomorrow. I love the Psalms-so much to be thankful for-so much to praise Him for. Hope that you had a blessed Sunday.
    Hugs-Love you

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always a gift! Thank you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...