Saturday, August 18, 2012

Somebody Help Her! She Choketh!

I've shared before about making my children promise they'd never be on Facebook before I die.  And then I had to eat my words when Ink signed up for the Great Social Network. I included these thoughts while I was busy coughing and sputtering.

In fact, you probably don't really want me to join Facebook because if I did, I'd have to eat so much crow, I'd surely choke to death. (And I'd even have a few friends ready to spoon-feed me.)


My Beloved and I signed up for FB last night. I'm busy eating crow, but I have to say that friends have been most welcoming! 

And yes, I'm still ambivalent about social networking, and you'd probably roll your eyes if you knew how much thought I gave to joining FB and the discussions I put my Beloved through, or perhaps you'd say, "I completely understand!"

But now you know. I did it.

I'm off to finish eating my words as I ponder why my Mother Dear still hasn't accepted my friend request. I feel a mini-depression coming on.

With love,
Trisha

15 comments:

  1. We had to join a couple years ago because my husband was organizing the local Tea Party and there was no way to communicate--people literally WOULDN'T unless we used FB. At that point, though, I stayed off until we founded our local Home Ed Conference, at which point again it was necessary. Now we are on there, but I can't bring myself to share very personal things, especially about our children. We have too many "friends" that we really don't know, you know? I *do* think that I know my husband's younger (20ish) siblings better because of this, and since there are three of them I suppose that is time well spent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's wonderful that you know your husband's younger siblings better because of FB. I'm hoping to connect with some of my Dad's family, but I'm sad that family, for us, feels so disconnected in general. My children really don't know their extended family.

      Delete
  2. I never said never about FB or Twitter. It was more of a "highly unlikely." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because you are a wiser woman than I am. :) I still have lots of "nevers" floating around in my head. Perhaps I'll learn to keep them to myself.

      Delete
  3. I won't make you eat anything nasty like crow, but I'd love to be your friend :) Ashleigh Guitreau Bickham if you can find me. I couldn't find you :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great, Ashleigh!! Ben and I have a joint account, so it's BenandTrisha Poff. I'll look for you!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad to see you on FB. Now I have a reason to check FB when I'm online. Love you, Ben and Trisha

    HUGS,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. FB has its good points, for sure. I found it was not best for me though. There are times (like right now) that I would enjoy being on it still...but, mostly, I am glad I'm not. :) Hope that all makes sense. May the LORD bless you in it my friend!

    Love,
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to be your friend. www.facebook.com/pennylachney

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will have to look you up :-)

    I joined FB a few yrs ago to keep up with our oldest son that joined the Marines and moved so very far away. It was a great way to keep in touch. Then people started finding me on there and friending me and before I knew it I had tons of friends/family on there. Then another son joined the military and we are able to keep updated on him through FB. Love that!!

    Another good point was when I started labor at 5am with miss Rosie I was able to update my status on there and alert everyone to start praying. And my husband, who was in Afgahnistan at the time, could peek on there and check for updates.

    I still like blogging better but enjoy the quick interaction on FB.

    How are you feeling. I loved your prayer requests the other night and have been thinking/praying for you as I pray for my dtr in love

    ~Cinnamon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cinnamon, for praying for me! And please, do look me up! We're listed under BenandTrisha Poff. I hope your dtr-in-love is doing well!

      Delete
  8. Trisha,
    I'm on FB too, I sent you a friend request, so I'd like to be your friend if you want! I had to eat a lot of crow, too. I was so anti-FB! I think the key is to not let it control you and not to stay on it too much. I love keeping up with my friends and church family on it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. *L* While I know some people overseas DON'T use FB, for us it is such a convenient and helpful way to stay connected -- with family, with our church, with old high school friends that I barely know. . . oh, wait. Maybe I don't need it for that last one. And in light of our frequent moves, my older kids are also on FB. It's a learning curve for them. (And when I set up their accounts I told them that I friended all their friends' mothers on their behalf, and so if they embarrassed themselves, it would be in front of them, too! *L*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how much FB would be a blessing to you, being overseas! Love your friending all of your children's friends. Ha!

      Delete
  10. Lol! I have occasional fb urges, but for the time being I'm still holding back. I do snoop around there occasionally and find the life of one-liners and (mostly) surface/shallow talk does not tempt me...much. But blogging? THAT'S a different matter.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always a gift! Thank you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...