Friday, August 16, 2013

Anatomy of a Large Family's Read Aloud Time



Pick a time.

Announce it to everyone.

Begin thirty minutes late because  you got distracted washing the dishes and putting another load of laundry in and dressing your daughter's baby in doll clothes.

Let everyone gather their coloring pages, pencils, or Legos to use while listening to the reading.

Begin.

Hear toddler cry for juice.  Ask her buddy to please get her some.

Begin again.

Read for about 15 minutes.  Then, have daughter tell you baby needs a diaper change.

Tell everyone you'll be right back. 

Change diaper.  Watch baby boy pee all over comforter unexpectedly (really, Mama-to-quite-a-few-boys, you should expect that...)  Strip bed and put comforter in the wash.

Tell everyone to settle down.

Begin again.

Admonish two children for fighting.  Tell them to stop provoking one another.  "Keep your hands to yourself."   "Do unto others as you'd want done to you."

Ask another child, "Are you listening?"

Try again.

Hear howling scream from one son.  "What happened?"  Mediate.  Discipline.  Sigh and wonder how long you've actually been READING.

Feel toddler girl lay her head on your lap.  Hug her back.

Look for your place again.

Start reading.

Realize 3 year old is missing.  "Where's _________?"  Send her buddy to look for her.

Start again.

Hear everyone laugh at the passage or make commentary on the author's worldview.  Follow rabbit trails.  Calm everyone down, and get back to the line you were on.

Notice toddler has a permanent marker.  "Where did she get that?"  "Get it from her quick!"

Hear phone ring.  It's Daddy.  He'll be home in about an hour and a half.  Think of dinner and how much time you need to get it done.  Remember the clothes wrinkling in the dryer. 

Find your spot, and try again.

Smile as you notice little daughter trying to help her sister with a toy.

Read for a bit more.

Exhort another child to use his words for building up, not tearing down.

Fight discouragement as you tell yourself, "Why bother?"

Remind yourself that great things are done little by little, even with an interruption here and an interruption there. 

Laugh at yourself.  Treasure the blessing of so many children around you who really are enjoying the book you're reading. 

Remember that an hour of uninterrupted read aloud time with total silence is very overrated.  Would I really want that? (Well....move to the next thought.)

Remember where you need to discipline more.  Remember how you need to lighten up.

Remember not to grow weary in doing good.  And this time together, interruptions, frustrations, and all, is very GOOD.

End with a big smile on your face.  Close the book, and try again tomorrow. 

Thank the LORD that you're such a rich woman.

The End. :)



***originally posted at my A Multitude of Mercies blog

20 comments:

  1. I tried reading to my 3 girls at one time or just 1 on 1 and it was difficult. I can't imagine trying to read to a lot. You are very much respected! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is one of my favorite times of the day, even though it can be challenging. :)

      Delete
  2. This made me grin. I already go through things like that with just my three. Wonderful post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hollie, our family worship is sometimes like this, too--minus the crayons and Legos, etc. :)

      Delete
  3. I remember this from "Multitude of Mercies"....I loved it then, and I love it now. I love YOU! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. May the Lord make your family full of readers who love His Word best. I have so much admiration for you. Thanks for sharing. Keep pressing on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! May the Word always reign supreme in their lives! And I'm certainly not worthy of any admiration, but I do appreciate your encouragement so very much!

      Delete
  5. This made me grin...and get teary-eyed. It read like you were visiting...minus those strange things called "buddies" you mention. ;)

    Good encouragement to keep on keepin' on.

    (Are you sure you haven't been spying on me?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it! You can do it! Go, Michelle! {Love and hugs}

      Delete
  6. Reading aloud to your children is good for the children, but better for the mother who has to learn patience and multi-tasking. :) Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You lost me after the "read for about 15 minutes" part... I don't think we even make it that long without interruption ;)
    Seriously, though - this is SO what it's like here. Glad I'm in good company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katrina,
      Keep going! :) Eventually, you'll hit that 15 minutes mark. Yes, there are many of us who understand this challenge. What fun to be each other's cheerleaders!

      Delete
  8. Grinning here too! That sounds like so much fun! And just to be Pollyanna you can be glad you have food to prepare for Dad's dinner, babies for the little girls, pencils and paper for colour ins and books to read. You are already ahead of many people! I know that your children will remember these times with great affection in years to come. It is so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful to read another Mama's blog that very easily could've been written by me ~ every line I smiled thinking to myself....I'm right there with you. And at the end ~ your last line ~ gave me chills. How I often try to remember to take a moment in the craziness and thank God for choosing me to be their Mama. Read your blog often, Blessings, EMichelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much! Your encouragement and understanding and sense of humor are a blessing!

      Delete
  10. What a lovely picture of grace and perseverance and joy. Thanks for sharing it. Big smile!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds familiar...and encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha! I remember this one!! Brought a smile to my face once again, friend!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always a gift! Thank you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...