Luke arrived home late Wednesday afternoon after quite the adventure from just trying to get his prescriptions filled. Everyone was so excited to see him, and Whistler spent part of the morning making him a sweet welcome home sign. Scribe graciously added balloons.
Luke has busy days ahead of him just taking his medications. After a staph bacteria grew on the culture a couple days ago, the doctors have added another antibiotic since MRSA is resistant to the antibiotic he's currently taking. Only one colony of MRSA grew (which makes it suspect as coming from cross-contamination...in other words from someone handling the culture) but in light of how sick he was when he first came in to the hospital, the doctors feel that the benefits outweigh any risks.
So, Luke is on two antibiotics taken twice daily, a nasal spray used twice daily, and twice daily sinus rinses.
I know that might not sound like much to an adult, but it's quite a bit for a seven-year old, and we're so proud of Luke for being such a trooper even though he dreads all of it.
Speaking of sinus rinses.....let me introduce you to our new good friend.
Luke uses the pediatric version of this twice a day, and Mountain Man and I have already joined the many fans of this product. The ENT who assisted with the surgery on Luke chuckled after recommending this, saying that people even give them as gifts. I can see why. If this helps prevent what Luke went through or even diminish the severity, it's so worth every penny. Another nurse who took care of Luke uses this daily, too, to manage her allergies and said that studies had shown that saline rinses and salt water gargling were effective in lowering one's susceptibility to the swine flu.
It's initially "different," but you do get used to it, and Luke is able to prepare his own solution and do this completely on his own now. My boys told me I sound like an infomercial about this......oh well. Mountain Man can't believe I'd ever try it, but I knew I had to for Luke's sake, and now I just think it's great. :) You can order two of these from Amazon here or find them at Target or Wal-Mart.
****
I thought it would be a treat to watch a movie together the night Luke came home, so I rented Where the Wild Things Are. Silly me. I should have remembered that it was never one of my favorite books to read to the children, but I couldn't have imagined that it would be made into a most depressing children's movie. It would have been better named "Where the Ungrateful and Self-Absorbed Brat and His Mostly Rude, Human Eating Monster Friends Are."
My instincts told me to shut it off after the first 20 minutes, and I shamefully didn't listen. Aargh!
Scribe is working on a movie review blog (it's looking so great, and I'm hoping he'll share it soon.:), and I convinced him to let me quote his review.
Any deeper themes in this film will be lost on younger audiences. All they end up seeing are temper tantrums, disrespect and rebellion, and selfish childhood angst. It's utterly ridiculous to market this as a children's film. A complete waste of time, especially for Christians.
Christian children raised in covenant homes won't get this film at all. And, it's really nothing they need to see. Don't waste an hour and a half of your life just to see a boy smile at his mother in the end, perhaps appreciating his life just a bit more.
****
My Mom and Aunt were visiting during the time Luke was in the hospital, so our anticipation for literally months over their visit evolved into slight disappointment over changed plans. We had mapped
out such great plans for the time they were here....Scribe's birthday scavenger hunt, a birthday dinner for them at the Melting Pot, lots of homecooked meals, a trip to the zoo if the weather permitted, and just the joy of all of us being together.
But God had better plans, and so we adjusted as best we could. The children did such a great job of taking care of things at home while I was at the hospital during the day. Scribe managed to feed my Mom and Aunt well, even making this nice dessert of mixed berries with Starbucks wonderful vanilla bean scones.
They played games and helped minimize the Mama-guilt I was feeling by being so cheerful when I came home. Knowing my love for pictures, Scribe even did a photo shoot the night before they had to leave, and my Mom managed to finish up Little Big Man's scarf while she was here.
****
This weekend you'll find us remembering Christ's death and resurrection, celebrating Scribe's birthday with a scavenger hunt tomorrow, making a long list of blessings as well as "thank you" notes, and uncovering our laundry room floor. :)
Much love to you as you celebrate the resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!


We are SOOOOOO glad Luke is home and you can all be together again. We will continue to pray for Luke as he is in the recovery process. We are looking forward to the seeing you tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteLove you all,
Nicole and family
He looks great! So happy to hear he is doing better. I have thought about your family often this week.
ReplyDeleteAlso, my mother in law bought Where the Wild Things Are for my kids and I had already heard about it. I made her take it back. I hate to refuse gifts but another friend had already warned me about it. She didn't seem mad and it was still wrapped in the plastic.
But she hasn't bought us anything else yet. : )
Thanks so much for updates on your
ReplyDeleteBlog. I'm so glad Luke is out of the hospital and doing well. I'm so glad you're planning Scribe's birthday this weekend. Everyone asks me if I'm glad to be home.I know I need to give them an honest answer, and I say "NO". I miss
my precious grandchildren.
HUGS,
memaw
I am so glad Luke is home.... hope he will improve each day...give him a big HUG from me... Love to all.. Granma
ReplyDeleteThanks for the pics!! So grateful for Luke's progress and that he is back home with his family!! I know it was an exhausting time...hopfully everyone can get rested and recover. The little things that were commonplace before will take on a whole new meaning :) Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Michele
I'm so glad Luke continues to improve. He looks really good. I'm missing your children and their hugs and smiles. I hope you have been able to get some rest. You were on the go the whole time we visited you and I was worried about you doing too much. It was nice spending time with you and your family. You have wonderful and loving children. Corey did a wonderfuly job fixing us meals and taking care of his brothers and sisters when you were visiting Luke in the hospital.
ReplyDeleteI picked up the package at the post office today. Thank you so much for mailing it to me.
Hugs,
Auntie Marian