But with everything going on with Luke, I just didn't have the energy or motivation to pull it all together. And you know what, only my sweet Mountain Man even noticed! He just loved giving me a hard time about it. :)
I did manage to make a favorite and special dessert for everyone Sunday evening, though.....our homemade funnel cakes! These are yummy, yummy, yummy, and it really does help if you just splurge and spend $12.00 on a funnel cake kit. The tools you get make this process so much easier as I can honestly tell you since I've tried it without these handy aids.
The blue container makes pouring out the batter easy...it's your "funnel." The metal piece helps you shape a beautifully round cake that isn't too big.
The ingredients are simple...eggs, milk, sugar, flour, salt, and baking powder
3 eggs
2 c. milk
1/4 c. sugar
3 2/3 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
In a medium bowl, mix salt, baking powder, and half of the flour. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream eggs, sugar, and milk. Add flour mixture and beat until smooth. Continue to add remaining flour, but use only enough to achieve desired consistency. Batter will be thin enough to run through a funnel.
Heat oil in skillet to 375 degrees. (I've never measured the temp. of the oil, BUT I did make a note on my recipe as to the setting of the burner that gives me the best results...example...front rt. burner on 6)
Once the oil is heated, place your metal ring in the center and then pour the batter in the ring. Let the cake set a few minutes and then remove the ring so you can turn the cake over easily.
I remove the ring with tongs. Remove the funnel cake once golden brown, draining it on a paper towel and then sprinkling generously with powdered sugar or even cinnamon sugar (haven't tried that one.)
Announce that the funnel cake is ready and watch them run....
and happily eat!
Smile to yourself when you look at the empty plate, dirty forks, and sweet smiling faces of some very happy campers. Pour yourself a glass of milk (and chill it in the freezer if you're like I am) and enjoy one yourself.
Remember, you don't have to have that fancy pouring thing or the metal ring....it just makes the job a bit easier and neater. By all means, just pour the batter through a funnel and into the pan if you must. I promise the end product will taste just as great!
Have fun!
P.S. This recipe makes plenty for our clan with a few left over. I refrigerate them and just warm in the oven briefly the next day. They're yummy even then.
~recipe courtesy of Allrecipes.com

I would LOVE to have one of those funnel cakes. Maybe next time.!!
ReplyDeleteLOVE and HUGS,
memaw
Beautiful!!! Where did you find the kit? Think I will have to invest in one of those...I LOVE ME SOME FUNNEL CAKE...but have never made them at home...ok, maybe I shouldn't get a kit!?!?! :)
ReplyDeleteI know it was probably disturbing in your mind to not have the baskets for the kids...but given all you guys have been through over the last few weeks...i think the kiddos probably understand...plus..if you really still have the urge...you could probably still do it and it would even leave a bigger impression! :)
Love you!!!
Michele
I CRAVED funnel cakes when I was pregnant with Sarah, so almost every night for weeks, I'd whip up a cake. My brother was staying with us at the time, and for some reason, John and Chuck were both more than happy when I popped up and said, "I've got to have a funnel cake!" They never once tried to stop me. I didn't know they had these nifty kits, so I always use a funnel you get for making chocolate candy (it has a stopper you open/close with your finger while pouring), and it worked great for anyone who can't find the kit. However, refrain from buying 2 of those at the state fair, and you've paid for the kit. Caleb and I just voted unanimously to make these tonight!! Thanks for the idea!!
ReplyDeleteOkay, I'm going to try it, they look so good! I've got to substitute the milk for soy or almond milk...I wonder how they will come out?
ReplyDeleteAndrea,
DeleteMy husband loves Almond Milk, but I've never used it to make the funnel cakes. The rest of us drink whole milk. I say just give it a try...could you maybe even do half milk and half almond? I do hope you make them. They are so good and so much fun to eat with the children. :)