Wednesday, March 14, 2012

He's Bigger Than My Jury Duty Summons: Part 2

You can read part 1 here.


"From providences past saints argue 
to fresh and new ones to come."
~John Flavel


Having not filled out my jury questionnaire in a timely manner, I was told I forfeited my right to request a medical excusal. So even though I had one from my OB, I didn't present it when I first showed up at court.

God was exceedingly gracious that first day, answering every little prayer I offered up and providing for me in unexpected ways. The second day started with a Crohn's attack, though, and I knew I was going to have to let the court know what was going on, even if they didn't grant an excusal.

I tortured myself with questions about timing. Should I give my medical letter to the court administrator when she checked us in, or should I request to speak to the judge and deal with him directly? God answered this one, too, ever so clearly--the computer malfunctioned for check-in, so my only option was to speak to the judge.

After hearing details of the case we were to serve on, the judge asked if anyone needed to speak to him privately. Thankfully, there were just three of us, and we were put in a room to wait.

I didn't understand I would be speaking to the judge with the attorneys and the defendant present. But when the judge discovered I was before him because of a medical issue, he tried to deal as privately with me as possible in a room full of people. :)

After reading the letter, the judge asked if I could serve if he was willing to work with me. He'd give me bathroom breaks whenever I needed them. I would simply signal the bailiff for a time out. I said I could (though I was wondering just how invisible one can be from a jury box while waving one's hand and begging for a break).

The judge then had to share our conversation with the attorneys present. He was stumped as to how to do this discreetly, and I so appreciated his desire to not embarrass me. I quickly let him know it was fine, and I turned to the attorneys and told them I have Crohn's disease.  Right away both of them nodded. They were familiar with it. The first attorney started to assure me that the judge would work with me in whatever way, and then the second attorney spoke up. He was concerned about the effects of serving, considering the complications from the Crohn's, on my pregnancy, and explained they were fine with my not serving.

So the judge looked at me and said, "We're giving you veto power." It was up to me.

Now I'm an indecisive person. Standing right there I was torn between wanting to serve if I could, and yet, knowing the enormous stress I would be dealing with while trying to manage my Crohn's and pregnancy for the next three months of jury duty because no matter how much the judge wanted to work with me, my Crohn's doesn't cooperate with anyone (other than God). It has a mind of it's own.

But God spared me from hemming and hawing in front of them, and I simply said, "I think it would be best for me not to serve right now, considering everything."

And they were all fine with that. Done. You're excused. No, we don't need your medical letter. We'll take your name off the roll.

I breathed a massive sigh of relief and left.

These posts haven't been about how to get excused from jury duty. The focus is how God takes care of every concern, every detail, just like a loving Father. I'm grateful to Him for the joy of seeing His hand in every moment of those two days. It only encourages me that much more to look for His hand in every moment of all of my days.

John Flavel writes in The Mystery of Providence that we're not to just glance over God's mercies to us. We're to meditate "intensively" on them. We're to "dive as far as we can; and to admire the depth, when we cannot touch the bottom."

Those two days of jury duty were a sort of boot camp on how to do just that--meditate intensively on God's providential care.

May God give us all eyes to see anew His works of providence and hearts that meditate on them deeply, overflowing with thankfulness for His goodness to us.

"For in all providences, especially in some, He comes near to us. These visitations of God preserve our spirits (Job 10:12), and it is a wonderful condescension in the great God to visit us to often, 'every morning and...every moment' (Job 7:18). But not to take notice of it is a vile and brutish contempt of God (Isa 1:3; Zeph 3:2)."
~John Flavel

With love,
Trisha




9 comments:

  1. Wonderful testimony of our Wonderful Heavenly Father! HE is Good. Always.

    Much love,
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camille,
    I'm glad you're still here reading with me. :) Love to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Trisha -

    I have quietly "hitched a ride" on your blog for many months now, but wanted to go "on record" today in leaving a comment . . . . thank you for ALWAYS encouraging me in my walk with God. Please know that your investment of time in the process of writing - choosing right words, deciding on how much to include, praying as you compose your thoughts - has been a blessing to me and I have praised God because of your declarations of His goodness. I pray for you and your family. Especially thanking God today for your sweet Mom! God is good and He is trustworthy.
    - Esther in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Esther,
    What a blessing your words are! My heart rejoices at the thought that anything I have to say would encourage you. To God be the glory! And thank you, too, for your good words about my Mom. I appreciate you and your prayers for my family. What a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an answer to pray. I was touched to read this and hear that those involved handled it the way was kind and gracious to you. I am also glad for you that you were able to get releaved from your duties for now-I think you need to rest and keep gowing that sweet bundle of joy. :)
    He is always faithful to meet our every need.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Jill! It really was amazing to watch God work out every detail. Thank you for caring and for rejoicing with me. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved reading your part 1 and part 2 of seeing God work so wonderfully in your life. I love it when He does that!!

    So glad you are back at home and I hope you are feeling better.

    ~Cinnamon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Wow! I am praising God for His attention to detail! His name is truly El Roi, "The God who sees".

    There have been so many, many times that He has placed people and things into my pathway to bring His glory about. I was just laughing and nodding along as I read your post! I now wish I had written them down and saved them to look upon in later times. I will now!!

    I could also see you doing all these things you wrote! I mean it seriously! Really see you talking to the judge and turning and telling the others in the room you have Crohn's.

    Much love to you all.
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a wonderful testimony I so appreciate your willingness to share how you walk through life. For being willing to be transparent, for showing your dependency on the Lord and for encouraging others along the way. You are a blessing..pray that you are feeling well

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always a gift! Thank you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...