"Coleridge is the supreme tragedy of indiscipline. Never did so great a mind produce to little. He left Cambridge University to join the army; he left the army because he could not rub down a horse; he returned to Oxford and left without a degree. He began a paper called The Watchman, which lived for ten numbers and then died. It has been said of him: 'He lost himself in visions of work to be done, that always remained to be done. Coleridge had every poetic gift but one--the gift of sustained and concentrated effort.' In his head and in his mind he had all kinds of books, as he said, himself, 'completed save for transcription. I am on the even,' he says, 'of sending to the press two octavo volumes.' But the books were never composed outside Coleridge's mind, because he would not face the discipline of sitting down to write them out. No one ever reached any eminence, and no one having reached it ever maintained it, without discipline."
~William Barclay speaking of Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Imagine re-writing this about the highly undisciplined Mom.
"She was the supreme tragedy of indiscipline. Never did so great a mind produce so little. She set up her home and had great plans for organizing everything and planning meals for her family and keeping things tidy. But she found Facebook and blogging more interesting and just couldn't settle down long enough to figure out what to cook for dinner. She bought expensive homeschool curriculum but couldn't stay focused and got tired of planning lessons after a few weeks. She knew it was important for her children to obey, but after correcting them over and over for the same things, she convinced herself it was impossible. She meant to write those letters of encouragement and to bring her neighbor a meal, but tomorrow always seemed a better time to do it. She kept meaning to teach her children about the LORD and tell them about His mighty deeds, to sit down and listen to them and look them in the eye and know them, but those good intentions never moved her mouth or hands, and really, never her heart."
Our goal as Moms isn't to reach a place of eminence, but to be faithful to what God has called us to do. We don't want to be visionaries who made great plans and never saw them through, to be known as the Mom who always said she'd do something but never got around to doing it. We don't want to look at our children as they leave to make homes of their own and wished we created more memories with them, had prayed for them more, spent more time with them in the Word, prepared them better for eternity.
Even if you're supremely organized, you still might battle the temptation to do everything but spend time with your children and discipline them or disciple them. Every day we have to remind ourselves that our time is not our own and that our flesh is naturally drawn to time wasters that leave strong aftertastes of regret.
"Where your priorities are, there your time will be."
~Gordon MacDonald
Here are a few ways to guard against the undisciplined life:
~begin each day in prayer and in the Word
~Pray for the Holy Spirit's power to use your time wisely and do the hard things
~have a framework for the day, if not a schedule
~remember your time is not your own and you may not have tomorrow
~ask God to show you time wasters in your life and give you the discipline to let them go
~do the most dreaded task first
~make a list of things you've been promising to do with your children and then do them (Color with them. Read with them. Take them to the park. Bake cookies with them.)
~Consider what you would regret not having done the most if you were to die tomorrow. Make those things a priority, not out of fear, but out of wisdom.
~make a list of your roles and what you need to accomplish each week in each role (i.e. teacher, accountant, sister, daughter, etc.)
"Remember a long life of steady, consistent, holy labor will produce twice as much fruit as one shortened and destroyed by spasmodic and extravagant exertions; be careful and sparing of your strength when and where exertion is unnecessary."
~William Booth's wife writing to him when he was away on an extended trip
May God pour out His grace on us that we might be steady and consistent holy laborers for His glory.
With love,
Trisha
***all quotes from one of my favorite books, Ordering Your Private World by Gordon MacDonald...and no, I don't remember if there's anything "mystical" in it. I do know it's highly practical. :)
Making Your Home an Oasis
3 years ago
Such encouraging words- reminding me to seek God & let Him order my day, & then... follow!
ReplyDeleteJessica
I like the parallelism of the two passages... you are a wonderful, winsome writer - the subject matter gave me some things to think about. Love to you dear one,'
ReplyDeleteJojo
Oh the days I don't start with the Lord are never good days. I need for Him to speak to me, to show me what I need to do and how and to do it and most of all the kindness and patience to teach my children (even if it is over and over-like God must show me a bunch of times the same thing). Many a day I feel like I have failed as a mom and wonder what God was thinking when He allowed me to be raising 4 beautiful children-will they think I did a rotten job when they get older?!
ReplyDeleteThank you for another great post.
Love you-praying for you and that sweet baby.
Hugs
Wonderful post, Trisha!! I love it!!
ReplyDeleteOh and I am just THRILLED for you and the new little baby coming!!!
ReplyDeleteTrisha, I cannot tell you how much I NEEDED this post. I have been wrestling so much lately with lack of discipline and trying so hard to overcome it. My transition this year from a single-working-mother to a married-home-schooling-stay-at-home-mother has been much more challenging than I thought it would be. I have recently been taking many of the steps you listed to over-come this. My husband is also committed to praying for me in this area, which is such a blessing. I so appreciate your kind words of encouragement and exhortation today, Trisha! Love you, friend!
ReplyDeleteWell,....thanks....I think! :)
ReplyDeleteYour words are really very encouraging! Thanks for helping me to remember my priorities!
Hope you day is grand!
Great post...this is part of what God is doing in my life right now...I planned to blog on it some day, well maybe I should just link back here and save myself the time...LOL You always do a better job of writing on a subject than I!
ReplyDeleteIt is always a struggle...even after all these years of home schooling and parenting I would think I would have it down...and I don't!
My prayer this morning before I stepped out of bed was to dedicate my day to God and allow Him to rule...then began the dog vomiting all over the house, etc, etc...He is still on the throne and with me through it all!
This is so true...AND convicting! And I find that it is not something that you re prioritize once and move. For me it is a daily looking once again to the Lord in repentance and grace to glorify the Lord in my daily walk as a mother. Thank you for this!
ReplyDeleteThis is a daily struggle for me, too! And it is true that it's not a battle won once and for all for most of us. I'm praising God with all of you that His mercies are new every morning. Love and hugs!
ReplyDeleteTrisha, I can't tell you how much I needed this! I've linked to it and hope you don't mind. Grace and love!
ReplyDeleteOh Trisha, thank you, I too need this! There are certain areas in my life that are disciplined (homeschooling is one of them, because I love learning with my kids) but there are plenty of areas that need improvement.
ReplyDeleteVery timely post for me, Trish. I love the contrast between the two passages too! John Macarthur has a 2 part sermon called, "The Art of Discipline" that I listened to last week.
ReplyDeleteThanks, as always, for your transparency but most of all, for always giving glory to God. Love you!