But, my son Ink, thought there was.
The point of my post isn't to defend or criticize The Hunger Games. There are plenty of other places to do that, so please don't miss what I'm saying because of your opinion about the books or movies.
When our children are little, we shield them from much of the ugliness, the sin of this world. It's our job not to let a 7 year old view content meant for a 17 year old. We ground them in the truth of the Word and the seeds of discernment grow ever so slowly. We can't preview every exposure, every book, every movie, every conversation they overhear. The goal is to equip them to stand fast and stay faithful, long after we're six feet under and unable to whisper cautions in their ears.
In our home, you'll find the Hunger Games trilogy on the shelf, but you won't find Harry Potter. I'll tell you we loved Saving Private Ryan, but can't stand Fiddler on the Roof or Secretariat and think they're much more dangerous than the gritty truth of the battlefield. My 11 year old daughter still hasn't seen Pride and Prejudice and won't for some time. Sometimes we, especially as Christians, cling to a pretty outside and completely ignore the heart of the matter. Are our children doing the same? Are they thinking they're "safe" because a book or movie they watch doesn't have language or violence, thus, it must be acceptable?
And how equipped are they to speak themselves what they believe?
I read a reply my Ink wrote to a concerned mother yesterday regarding the Hunger Games. Here it is in part:
For one thing, the books are remarkably well-written *and* thought-provoking. To my mind, they prove that YA fiction doesn't have to be dominated by wizards-in-training and love-struck vampires. On the one hand, they tell a gripping story; but underneath the story are a lot of ideas worth thinking about. In many ways, the books are a critique of big government (President Snow, the Capitol) and voyeuristic culture (the Hunger Games). Suzanne Collins' essentially imagines a future where our lust for entertainment trumps all moral and ethical boundaries, just like in the Roman games of old. It reminds me of Russell Crowe's line in "Gladiator" (2000), when he shouts to the crowd, "Are you not entertained?"
There are tons of other themes worth considering, too: lost innocence, the exploitation of children, abuse of power, self-sacrifice, and more. I also find it interesting how people recoil in horror at the thought on slaughtering children in an arena... and then have no qualms whatsoever about slaughtering them in the womb. This connection isn't directly made by Collins, but it's so plain it's hard to miss.
Now, here comes the caveat... I wouldn't hand "The Hunger Games" to just anyone. I guess I somewhat agree with Berit's assessment, and so yes, discernment is a big part of whether or not the books should be read. My age recommendation would probably be 15+. The first book is pretty grim and violent, and so is the second one. The third book is my favorite because I think it's the richest... but it's also the darkest and the most violent.
It troubles me that the books are marketed to 12 and 13-year-olds. Why? Because I think most of them read the books, get an adrenaline-high off the intensity of the Games, and totally gloss over the deeper themes. And when that happens, I fear they're desensitizing themselves to the very thing Collins in trying to sensitize them to.
Whether you agree with what he wrote, you have to agree he knows what he thinks about the books and why. That's not something I learned to articulate very well as I was growing up, and it's still something I struggle with today. I have a book review I've been wanting to write for months, BUT it's against a book that's endorsed by very wise godly men. Who am I to disagree? And, yet, I do.
We're instructed in Scripture to have a teachable spirit, so I'm not equating knowing what you believe with the arrogance that says, "I have nothing to learn," but rather the firmness that says, "I heard what you've said. I've measured it by the Word. I've considered your concerns, and my position still stands because....."
If what we teach our children is simply a parroting of what we hear from our favorite family-friendly organizations and not from the conviction of our hearts (which should be based on the Word) because we've studied the matter, then we offer our children a foundation that will quickly crumble. Opinions we form based solely on the opinions of others and not because we've learned to think through the matter for ourselves quickly collapse under the least bit of pressure.
This is one of the reasons good Christian children walk away from their faith when they walk out the door to be on their own. They've never learned to think through a matter for themselves, digging in the Word and owning what they believe. They've never had to struggle with, "What do I believe and WHY?" because Mommy and Daddy have never been quiet long enough to force the child to do so. They've never been taught that the most dangerous worldviews are often wrapped in the prettiest, most alluring packages, sometimes with "Christian" pasted all over them and lovely horses running in the fields or people dancing on the rooftops.
To leave our own children handicapped in such a way is a sinister thing, even though done in the name of loving and protecting. And the consequences are far more dangerous than the latest movie or book that stirs up controversy and disagreement.
With love,
Trisha
"When our children are little, we shield them from much of the ugliness, the sin of this world. It's our job not to let a 7 year old view content meant for a 17 year old. We ground them in the truth of the Word and the seeds of discernment grow ever so slowly. We can't preview every exposure, every book, every movie, every conversation they overhear. The goal is for them to be equipped to stand fast and stay faithful, long after we're six feet under and unable to whisper cautions in their ears."
ReplyDeleteLove that! :) A friend borrowed me The Hunger Games Trilogy via Kindle and while I didn't love them, they really challenged me! :)
This is a really good post, Trisha and I agree!
"Opinions we form based solely on the opinions of others and not because we've learned to think through the matter for ourselves quickly collapse under the least bit of pressure. "
ReplyDeleteI love this post and that quote, Trisha. If we don't search the Word and think for ourselves, we're only being good parrots with a borrowed worldview.
I found a book in the church library on Christians and the movies, published in the 1980s. I think Ink Slinger would groan over every page as it only focuses on the big 3 - sex, profanity, and, violence and completely ignores the worldview aspect.
A fabulous post, Trisha. I'm currently reading the trilogy so that I know what the world is criticising/ acclaiming. I agree with every word you say. I'm going to read Ink Slinger's post now.
ReplyDeleteWould be interested in your views on HP...
Though I have never read the trilogy you refer to, I am grateful for your words of wisdom related to developing discernment and conviction toward and for their own beliefs in our children. For us, we see a real difference in how we train certain ages. Wonderful words of wisdom to read here today.
ReplyDeleteGreat post, Trisha! Do you mind if I ask why you believe Secretariat is dangerous? I understand the woman leaves her family behind, but I thought that gave us a good opportunity to discuss it as a family.
ReplyDeleteI don't see P&P (Kiera Knightly version?) as dangerous, either...but a tween might have a difficult time picking up on the themes.
I will read your son's review now.
Our children, more than ever before need to know what they believe and why...it sounds like your son does. Can I go even further...we as believers need to know what we believe and why, what are we using as our basis for truth...it has to be the Word of God...Test everything against it..did I mention this was a great post...fantastic
ReplyDeleteThank you for your thoughts, everyone. I'm grateful for the conversation!
ReplyDeleteJeanne,
I'll try to put my concerns together about HP in a thoughtful way. I know many Christians love the books and the movies. I'd love to hear your thoughts about them as well.
Melissa,
It is a wonderful thing to discuss Secretariat with your daughter. But, I don't think most Moms do that and will instead be deceived by the fact it's not steeped in foul language or sex or violence. Therefore, it's ok. I think the feminist message, especially laced with a hymn and a bit of Scripture is very dangerous. I will sit down with my daughters and have them watch it becauseI think it provides a very valuable lesson in modern culture's perception of what makes a woman, etc. But it's not one I'd keep on the family shelf, and at the time of my review, I couldn't find another Christian reviewer who seemed concerned about the message of the movie. Disappointing.
http://www.amultitudeofmercies.com/2011/03/secretariat-and-its-feminist-message.html
As for P&P, I am thinking of the 5 hour version, though I'm sure the same applies to the shorter one. I think that we have to be cautious as Moms about what romantic ideas we fill our children's heads with, especially girls and at a young age. I don't want my daughter to develop an appetite for many of the things in the movie or glamorize, in her head, relationships between men and women. It's a maturity issue for sure, as well as a personality one, (i.e. does my daughter already struggle in these areas? ).
My main point was that many parents will think of P and P as ok since it doesn't have the external content stuff, but they won't think about the romantic images or appetites it might encourage in our daughters. I think it can be dangerous in that way, especially if mother and daughter aren't discussing these issues with one another. Have I made things clearer or only muddled them more? :)
Good post..our son (age 16) read Hunger Games for his public school English class and the rest of the series
ReplyDeleteI disagree with some of the movies you have found to be harmful, but how each person interprets a movie or book is different through their own eyes of discernment...which is what I hope I have given my own adult children...their own discernment that is grounded in the Word and guidance of the Holy Spirit
Trisha as always you have written a very thought provoking post. I think there is soo much truth in that it is soo important for ALL of us to know what we believe and why. When my youngest son went to public school for the first time (he was a soph in high school) he was in a science class that challenged everything he had been taught up to that point. When he questioned and challenged the teacher and used the Bible as his reference, it was that exact question that was presented to him by the teacher, "Do you believe this because your parents have taught you that it is true?" And my son said at the time, "I believe it because I believe that the Bible is the infallible Word of God, and that is what it says." "If I didn't read it for myself, and understand it, I don't think that I could believe it. My faith is in God, as since it is, I believe this." I remember at then time thanking God that he got it. I have not read the Hunger Games though my adult daugher Melody has. She thoroughly enjoyed them, but shared your opinion that it takes some maturity to understand the purpose and insight behind them. Your son sounds soo mature and learned for his years. This must bring joy to your heart. I don't share your opinions on some of those other movies, but that is OK. : ) I did watch the Secretariat with my 11 and 14 year old grand daughters and they were both concerned about the mothers going off to do what she did without my even having to mention it. It brought about wonderful discussion. I think there are many areas of missed opportunities to really talk with young kids about all kinds of movies and situations. Which is sad. Great post Trisha.
ReplyDeleteI think the post is full of very valid points. My only disagreement would be with Ink's statement that the books are well written. That's a subjective assessment that I can't second, and most likely many others wouldn't either. They are marketed as YA, but written on 5th grade level, and that's per the Junior Library Guild and Scholastic. I found the writing to be well below the major themes of the book, so much so that I would heartily say that I disliked the first book because of the writing and wouldn't even pick up either of the other two. The Hunger Games repeats themes that have been around since the Minotaur, only because of the sentence structure, style, word choice and so much more, I would have to saw it is twaddle. That's reason enough for us to skip it. Thankfully my kids fall above the interest level of this (a 19 and 24 year old) or well below (11 year old twins). Yippee. Hopefully it will be a dead issue in 4 or 5 years.
ReplyDeleteThe Land of Story Books,
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for visiting and commenting. We love living books, too, and avoid "twaddle." Ink is well read, so I do think it's interesting that you found these to be twaddle and he didn't. Thanks for sharing your perspective.
You're right, we can't keep them from everything, but we can teach them to put on their Christ-colored glasses and to view/decern all things through them.
ReplyDelete"If what we teach our children is simply a parroting of what we hear from our favorite family-friendly organizations and not from the conviction of our hearts (which should be based on the Word) because we've studied the matter, then we offer our children a foundation that will quickly crumble." AMEN!
Love and hugs!
Oooopps! *discern*
ReplyDeleteWhere are my glasses, lol.
Love your blog! You are such an encouragement to me.
ReplyDeleteYou don't know me, so I'm risking sounding argumentative here, which is the farthest thing from my mind! But I've been discussing this with others, and would love your insight on some thoughts I have about it (if you have time). I'm definitely open to being wrong about this, but there are some scriptures that I can't get past when it comes to entertainment with graphic violence. Here's what I wrote a couple of days ago:
"My biggest issue with it is the graphic violence it depicts. I'm usually in the minority on this, even among my Christian friends, but who doesn't still have lingering violent images in their minds from past books and films? I wish I didn't, but once they're there, you can't get rid of them. My kids will have to make the choice for themselves one day, but while I have them home with me, we don't allow it, and that's the way I've explained it to them. I don't want them to have to struggle with the same awful junk in their heads that pops up at the worst moments.
I also, don't think Christ is honored when we allow ourselves to be ENTERTAINED by violence. It's definitely every where in the world, and we can't get away from it, but we should hate it so much that we don't find it entertaining and would sooner look away."
I was specifically thinking about Ephesians 5, here, but there are several others that come to mind.
Love everything you've said here Trisha!
ReplyDeleteI so appreciated this post my friend. I think, as you do, that there are things we definitely ought to discuss with our children as we view/read...and what a blessing it is that God gives the wisdom required for such a task as we ask for it. (James 1:5)
ReplyDeleteInteresting that you are still thinking of writing that book review...I thought long and hard about it too. Timing is the LORD's and when it is the right time (for you or me) it will be the right time (if at all). Maybe HE would just have us to pray. I think it is reflective of the state of the church and the lack of solid teaching that is prevalent these days. May God be merciful.
HE is Faithful to press things on our hearts when it is needful. What a Great God we serve!
Much love to you!
Camille
Dear Trisha,
ReplyDeleteThank you for responding to the concerned mother. Your family is unusually blessed by the Lord with discernment.
Because of this, Corey may read virtually everything because he is able to comprehend the good, bad and the ugly. Sadly, most youth do not have this capability, partly because their parents have not trained them adequately (by the way, I agree with your post and the results of failure and neglect in proper parenting)and also because the child has not been steeped in the Word of God and so they do not have their armour in place and are therefore at risk to the wiles of the evil one.So, my main concern is that if Corey recommends something that is certainly ok for his level of discernment in another child it may in fact not be edifying.
Now, truly there maybe no way around this. My daughter was in 9th grade when Twilight came out, and in a conservative, Christian school there were only about 4 girls (out of about 75) who did not read the books. God is so merciful to me because I was not even remotely aware of these books and my daughter on her own looked up the reviews and after watching how it was effecting her friends decided she did not want to read them. She talked to me about it months later and I was thankful that God was watching out for her because like you said it is impossible for parents to supervise 24/7 and ultimately it has to come from the heart.
I guess my bias also comes from my personal experience. I did not become a believer until I was 25 (although I truly thought I was) and there were so many things I put in my mind that I wish I could take out. So, we have stressed with our children to really think carefully about what you allow into your mind because it will remain with you for the rest of your life.
Anyway, hope this sheds some light on my caution. Oh, caution is an area of my life that God continually works on. My kids were the ones on the playground where the mother is within an arms length to avert potential disaster... Update my 14yr old son just broke his collar bone in a soccer game! God has a sense of humor:)
Grace and peace in our Savior Jesus! charisse