Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Super Men

It's my Beloved's birthday, today. Thus, it's most fitting to share again the blessing of being married to a super-man. Perhaps you have one, too. Let him know why he's so super, and remember to thank God for such a smiling providence.


****


My Superman.

No, he doesn't have a history of leaping over tall buildings or stopping trains with his bare hands.

But he has been known to travel miles for me. When we were dating, my Superman would drive through icy snow and pouring rains to be with me. In our early years of marriage, he'd drive miles for just a weekend stay so that I could visit my family. When my Dad was dying, my Superman drove to VA while I flew, left the next day for D.C., and then drove back a couple days later to take me home. Have I mentioned that he drives hours a day to and from work? And last August he flew to Salt Lake City to spend a bit of time with Michele and David AND to escort me home. Not only did we get home faster, but everything seemed ok just knowing he was at the wheel.

My Superman has comforted me through losing those precious babies we never got to see this side of heaven, and he's encouraged me when we were welcoming new blessings into this world. He's never made me eat hospital food after giving birth, always making runs to whatever eatery my heart desired. He's the one who would bring me endless saltines and apple juice, with extra ice, please, after I came alive from the medicine-induced nausea and fogginess that come with c-sections. He's the one who, twice now, has escorted me to the doctor, catheter attached from a complication with a c-section, doing his best to help me maintain a bit of dignity. "Um, could you take her back now, so she doesn't have to sit in a waiting room with her pee on display?" (Well, he said it more tactfully...)

He was at my side when I found out I have Crohn's Disease. He's endured the complications and been my hands and feet when I couldn't walk across the room or even change a diaper. He's loved when when my face was puffed up from steroids, and the only beauty in the room was the tender care he has for me.

He was at my side when I needed to have skin cancer removed from my nose. He was the one who removed the bandage to see something much more horrible than even he had imagined. He never let on that things looked so bad or so botched. He was the one who listened to my cries when I saw the damage for the first time.

My Superman does crazy things for me like making sure I don't get wet in a rainstorm or get blown over in a windstorm (more importantly, don't get my hair mussed up.) :) He'll drive miles in search of a hot chocolate or an Icee for me, or drive an hour so I can taste Krispy Kreme donuts.

He's the one who tells me I'm getting "smaller" all the time, even though I know the scale still shows those same numbers. He tells me he's proud of me when I manage to puff away while attempting a 2 mile jog. He praises my cooking and takes me on dates that usually include a trip to the bookstore.

He never calls me "dude." (Yes, I heard a guy call his girl that the other day. Yikes! What kind of men are we raising?) He opens the door for me. He wouldn't think of making me load the car after shopping at Costco. He's faithful and dependable.

He brings me chocolate.

I've been called "spoiled" because my Superman does some of these things for me.But I think every married woman longs for the kind of man who daily makes sacrifices for her, who rolls out the red carpet for her every day. 

Perhaps your Superman cooks for you or cleans the kitchen. Maybe he makes a lot of money, and you never have to think about your budget when you spend. Maybe he gives you back rubs or puts gas in the car for you. Maybe he cares for you as you suffer from a chronic illness. Perhaps he brings you coffee in the morning or reads to you at night.

While there are a lot of Jokers out there, lots of us have Supermen. What would yours do if you let him know he's one? You know..."101 Ways You're My Superman," or if that's just something you can't bring yourself to write, how about, "101 Ways You Spoil Me Every Day."

Your Superman looks different from mine. None of them are perfect. But for many of them (not all, I know!), these kindnesses and sacrifices are their attempts to love their wives as Christ loves the church.

So when we notice a man doing something loving for his wife, even if we think it's just plain over the top, instead of voicing thoughts of a green-eyed monster, let's rejoice instead that we have husbands who love us just as well, though differently.

If you're a woman of few words (do they exist?), then you could simply get your Superman one of these, presented full of his favorite coffee.





I'm sure he'd get the message, loud and clear.

With love,
Trisha


Happy Birthday, my Beloved! I love you!

10 comments:

  1. Hello to all... Yes, Benjie is a wounderful "young" man... I am very proud of him and I love him very much.. Hope you have a GREAT DAY!!!! Love you... MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Happy Birthday to your sweetie! Glad you have such a great husband!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessings from the LORD! Your Superman is very loved, I know! (And somehow, I think he does too!!) How many precious things you list Trisha...so beautiful to read.

    Happy Birthday to YOUR Superman!! Have a wonderful day!!

    Love,
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to Mr. Poff! I hope you all have a wonderful time of celebration with him. We'll be celebrating Daddy's birthday tomorrow. =)

    Love and hugs all around. <3

    Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Mr. Poff!!
    I hope y'all have a wonderful day celebrating this amazing person. :)

    God bless all y'all!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praise God from whom all blessing flow! What a lovely tribute to your beloved. Happy birthday Mr. Poff!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Cousin Benjie! Your Dad was my Superman when I was a child and needed one so badly. It's wonderful that you are so much like him in this. Hope you have your chance to be "King for a Day" on your birthday!
    Love to All!
    Cousin Patty

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are blessed!
    Almost as much as your husband is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BEN.You have been
    a wonderful SON-IN-LAW, also. Pray
    your delayed Birthday celebration
    will be awesome. Trisha, your post
    was great.

    LOVE AND PRAYERS,
    Memaw

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always a gift! Thank you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...