I'm 15 weeks pregnant today.
I'm joyful. I'm hopeful. I'm thankful. I'm thankful. I'm thankful. Did I mention I'm thankful?
I'm trying to savor every second of the privilege of carrying this precious life within me.
Last year held so much death, and the year before that the theme was hospitals and surgeries (though one was the birth of our precious Jedediah!). But both years, as all years, were years of sanctification. Years of loving this world less and Jesus more. Years of learning to praise His name in the storm and cling to Him when I felt like I was just moving from one crisis to another.
What a glorious display it is of His grace at work in us when His taking away, His putting us through the fire, leaves us loving Him all the more. I can truly say of the past couple of years, "It is
good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn Thy statutes." Thank you, Jesus!
My breathing feels easier this side of things. I like the calm. I like that, for now, winter seems to be over.
This is my heart put into words--does your heart know this, too?
"Sometimes God cheers and comforts the hearts of His people with smiling and reviving providences, both public and personal. There are time of lifting up as well as casting down by the hand of Providence. The scene changes, the aspects of Providence are very cheerful and encouraging, their winter seems to be over. They put off their garments of mourning, and then, ah, what sweet returns are made to heaven by gracious souls! Does God lift them up by prosperity? They also will lift up their God by their praises (Psalm 18, title, and verses 1-3)."
~John Flavel
The Mystery of Providence
My sackcloth isn't fully discarded, but I'm thankful for a change of scenery. And I must declare that God didn't only give me sweet returns with the smiling providences. He gave me a heart full of praise in the midst of my mourning, too, in the dead of winter. What a gift! I remember being so overcome by grief and yet spilling over with praise to the LORD. Such grace only sharpens my senses as I journey into spring. Everywhere I look I see reasons to lift up my God with praises.
Winter will come again. It has to. God loves me, loves you, too much, to leave us in a perpetual state of spring-time bliss. He makes winter grounds prime soil for making us more like Christ.
So we breathe in deeply the smiling and reviving providences, the appearance of spring after a long winter, and thank God for the respite. Most of all, we hold tightly to the truth that whether He gives us winter or spring, whether He lifts us up or casts us down, He does all things well.
Praise His name!
With love,
Trisha
Beautiful post, Trisha. I sometimes anticipate frowning providences in a time of smiling providences rather than enjoying the change of scene with childlike faith. It's another lesson in resting in the now and not being anxious for tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteAh, the amazing seasons of walking with the Lord, empowered by his Grace.
ReplyDeleteSo glad your pregnancy is progressing well.
I am so thankful and praising His name that you are doing well, that your sweet bundle of blessing is growing in you as we speak. Ever thankful that during our trials we are learning to love Jesus more and the world less.
ReplyDeleteHappy 15 weeks my sweet friend. Love you
Jill
Beautiful, beautiful post, Trisha!
ReplyDeleteI rejoice with you and join you in thanksgiving to Him who always gives good things to His children.
Love you, love you <3
I can see you smiling through your words! Let our hearts sing - always sing - of His many benefits and mercies! :-)
ReplyDeleteLovely post. The Flavel quote is wonderful! That's a book I've been wanting to read.
ReplyDeleteRejoicing with you!
Love you!
PS. That photo is so pretty!
Such an encouraging and wonderful post Trisha ~ what a blessing to belong to the LORD! In the fire and in the sunshine...it truly ALL is Good!!
ReplyDeleteLove to you!
Camille
LIfe is richer because we have change of season, both in nature and in our own lives! Wonderful post, Trisha!
ReplyDeleteAmen, Trisha! May this Springtime be sweet for you :)
ReplyDeletePersis,
ReplyDeleteThank you, and I'm tempted to do that, too. Yes...learning to rest in the season He has us in. I'm slowly getting there by His grace. :)
Ruby,
Thank you! Yes, it is ALL grace. :)
Jill,
Thank you! I can't believe it's already been almost 3 months since we found out the good news. Time is still going by too fast. :) Love you, too!
Becky,
Oh, thank you, my friend. Yes, everything He gives is good. Love you, too!!
Petra,
You're right!! I was smiling and crying and just overwhelmed by God's goodness. Let us be faithful to sing His praises always.
Hollie,
Read it. Soon! It is wonderful. I just can't say enough good things about it. I'm almost done and will hopefully write a review soon. Love you!
Camille,
Yes, that we belong to Him. What comfort in this! Thank you for rejoicing with me. Love you, too!
Kim,
How true this is. I know some would like the seasons in nature to never change, but God knew better. And in our lives, He perfectly designs the seasons, too.
Natalie,
Thank you! I appreciate your good words!
Beautiful post
ReplyDeletegreat reminder after coming home from mexican sun to sleety snow.
ReplyDelete<3 hugs