Saturday, July 3, 2010

Summer Salad and A Steak Marinade


Kicking off our July 4th weekend, we enjoyed a simple but delicious dinner last night that included two new recipes.  Being just 2-1/2 weeks post-partum, these recipes had to be easy, and they really were.  They were so enjoyed by everyone that they'll be going in the permanent file.

Green Bean Salad

1 lb. fresh green beans, trimmed
1 small red onion, sliced
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
12 pitted ripe olives, halved
1/4 c. shredded parmesan cheese
2 T. bacon bits
1/3 c. olive oil
2 T. balsamic vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp. ground mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
dash pepper

Cook greenbeans until crisp-tender.  Combine beans with onion, tomatoes, olives, cheese, and bacon.  In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, mustard, salt, and pepper.  Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat.

**I actually used frozen green beans and left out the olives. 


~here it is with the dressing


I rarely use marinades...just because I haven't tried many and don't have quick and easy recipes to use.  This one is a keeper....not overwhelming, but very flavorful.  The combination of the green bean salad and steak in this marinade even earned me a "Cheers for Mommy!" from my Beloved.  :)

Marinated Sirloin Steak

3/4 c. apple juice
3/4 c. soy sauce
1/4 c. olive oil
1 T. each minced fresh oregano, rosemary, and thyme
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 beef sirloin steak 1-1/2 lbs.

In a large Ziploc bag, combine all ingredients and then add meat.  Turn to coat and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.  Drain and discard marinade.  Cook meat as desired.

***I used this on petite sirloin steaks (7 of them) and marinated them for about 7 hours.  Instead of fresh herbs, I used 3 T. of Italian seasoning which included the above spices.  The marinade was delicious and would taste good on chicken and pork, too.

~both recipes from Taste of Home's Simple and Delicious with adaptations


Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Trisha...you just gave me a craving for some steak!! :) Your recipes sounded delicious!! How in the world are you cooking like that only 2 weeks after your surgery???

    Wish I were closer to bring you some meals! :) You are amazing!!
    I look forward to hearing about what other good food you will be eating this weekend!!! :)

    Love you!
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both sound delicious. Wonder if
    I can use frozen green beans instead of fresh.?????? I'll
    definitely copy these and make both of them. You are amazing.
    HUGS,
    memaw

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never mind. I got my answer. Just didn't take it in the first time about the frozen beans.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always a gift! Thank you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...