Ok, I'm sure my Beloved will say to me, "Are you really surprised by this?" And I would honestly answer..."Yes, I am." Can you imagine not reading even one book all year long? Or only visiting a bookstore only once in five years? Can you imagine more time spent watching tv than reading books?
Of course, the bigger concern is, as Christians, are we even reading our Bibles? We must be devoted to being in God's Word daily, and that priority should trump any other reading we find time to do.
"Recently I read some discouraging statistics. “80 percent of American families did not buy or even read a book in 2006. 70 percent of adults haven’t visited a bookstore in the last five years. 1/3 of high school grads never read another book for the rest of their lives.”
Consider that information along with the fact that “people in the United States spend an average of four hours in front of the TV each day and three hours listening to the radio.”
Now, if that isn’t an impetus to get your kids not just reading, but reading for pleasure, I don’t know what is!
The American Academy of Pediatrics’ guidelines for television viewing advocates no TV for children less than two years of age, and no more than two hours of TV viewing per day for older children. Yet 30 percent of U.S. children under age three currently have a TV in their bedroom.
Consider what you put in front of your kids. Easy access to a TV will mean more watching just as easy access to books increases academic success. In fact, a recent study found that children who come from homes that have books in them actually do better overall in school and on tests!"
~Lorrie Flem
TEACH magazine
original post found here
Making Your Home an Oasis
3 years ago
Those statistics are staggering. To know that 1/3 of highschool grads never read another book is very disheartening. My family knows how easy it is to fall into the trap of tv watching. After really stepping up the book reading in our home, we are conscious of how much time, and brain power have been wasted by plopping ourselves in front of tv. In the past we have taken for granted the access we have to so many wonderful books.
ReplyDeleteLove you all
These figures are hard to believe.
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine people not wanting to read much less never going to a book store. I'm so glad I like to read, but even when I'm reading, I'm thinking, I need to be crocheting.!!!!! Thanks for the post, Queen Mom.
Love,
Mom
The statistics are surprising. TV has definitely been a negative in our homes today. As a young person I remember loving to read. And I remember playing board games as a family when we were growing up and there was no such thing as TV. TV has become the babysitter and entertainment in our homes today.
ReplyDeleteI believe the love of books has to start at a very young age.
Love, Auntie Marian