Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Frozen Toes...

Sounds quite pleasant don't you think? Well, I guess that depends on whether you mean frozen toes or "Frozen Toes". Allow me to explain: 
~
The former is an extremely unpleasant condition often proceeding frostbite and the subsequent amputation of appendages.  
The latter is a rendezvous in the mountains east of Capitan and Fort Stanton. And yes, it is of this Frozen Toes that I mainly speak.
~
Nevertheless, this is not to say that when I speak of "Frozen Toes", I do not also speak of frozen toes. After all, names are usually given for a reason (at least, they should be). The rendezvous "Frozen Toes" is so called because attenders thereof inevitably experience that "extremely unpleasant condition proceeding frostbite and the subsequent amputation of appendages" - to put it more bluntly, they run the risk of having to take a hatchet and lop off frozen body parts. And toes, if not given proper protection from the elements, are often the first to go.
~
As you might well deduce after reading that bit of information, it does get rather - shall we say - frosty up at this rendezvous, especially after the sun begins to set. Warmth is highly coveted, and hard to hold on to once you've got it. At nights, if you expect to get anything like sleep, you'd better be bundled up good - real good. Even so, it is often necessary to undergo a sort of thaw in the morning after you wake up by finding a nice little patch of sunlight, claiming it, and then doing a bit of a dance until you notice your fingers begin to turn their natural color again. 
~
So, to conclude this rigmarole, I'd like to ask for prayer that (1) the weather would be obliging, and not too extreme, (2) that we would return uninjured and with all body parts working properly, and (3) that we would be worthy witnesses for Our Lord Jesus Christ to everyone we encounter.
~
Soli Deo Gloria!


* * *
Persevero,
Scribe

5 comments:

  1. Ooh, dear son, I'm gonna miss my Mountain Men terribly. At least you're leaving one behind to guard the fort! Thanks for such a funny post! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scribe, you make me laugh, which is a good thing. I will definitely be praying for all of you while you are gone, and that you come home with all your toes in a normal
    condition. Love the picture of
    Emma.
    PRAYERS,
    Memaw

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi...I will pray that all of you get home safe and sound no "frozen toes"....... hope you have a good time... Love ya'll Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I'm not so sure about this trip. I'm getting cold just reading about it. It definitely would not be for the weak.

    Emma's picture is adorable.

    Hugs,
    Auntie Marian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Scribe,
    You have such an eloquent way with words!
    I have been, and am still praying for all of you mountain men.
    I am hoping that all of your were able to claim patches of sunlight until your body parts were thawed.
    I sure would love to see the "bit of dance" that you do!!!!!!!!!

    Love,
    Aunt C

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always a gift! Thank you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...