Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Could God Be So Cruel?

As God has quieted my heart before Him during this season of affliction, I've thought much about how one without Christ responds to suffering. I've thought about how easily Christians, too, slip into bitterness or fist-shaking or deep despair. I've reflected on how I used to do that.

The question that comes is, "How could God be so cruel?" Let's play out the question with me as an example.

"You prayed for that sweet baby. God answered your prayers with such delightful timing. He gave you life as you were watching another slip into death. You even stepped out of the fear in more ways than one, sharing the good news with everyone way earlier than you've done since you first knew the pain of miscarriage."

And then He took it all away.

Fill in your own blanks. Because all of us have our own story to tell.

I won't begin to offer some deep theological discussion on God's sovereignty or His holiness because I'm not qualified to do that. I can say that there's a different knowledge, grounded in God's Word, of course, of who God is and how faithful He is that comes only as our faith is refined in the fire.

When I'm living in a bed of roses, I can tell you endlessly how great God is and how blessed I am. And you might believe me. But it's only when I'm standing in the fire, back sore from His rod and His correction, heart broken and bewildered, and yet a song still on my lips, that my testimony carries a greater weight.

Realizing we were losing this baby, I stood at one moment in the middle of my room begging Jesus to stop it all. Did He turn a deaf ear? Did He not care? No. There's no doubt that He looked upon me with great compassion, compassion deeper than I know, and in His infinite wisdom said "no."

There's no deceit in our God. There's no joke-playing. He doesn't have a torturer's mentality. He is our Heavenly Father, and He is making us more like Christ. We would think a parent crazy who gave his child everything she wanted. In fact, we've all seen children who are the products of such parents. They're miserable and selfish and grumbling.  And yet, all too often, we want our God to be the indulgent parent who never says "no," who never corrects, who is more like our Genie in a Bottle than our sovereign God and our Redeemer.

Affliction brings to light what we really believe about God. It reveals the depth or shallowness of our faith. It exposes idols and sin, pride or humility. The real question is not, "How could God be so cruel?" (because He's not) but rather, "What will we do with our affliction?" 

Will we be teachable and malleable? Will we be humbled and thankful? Or will we be bitter and combative and have a closed fist and a hardened heart to the wonderful things God has in store for us, those gifts that only come from trials?

Oh, may God give us more grace and more grace to submit with a gracious heart to His corrections, to His refining of us!

How am I? I am good because my God is good. And, I am unspeakably grateful for your prayers! The tears still fall to my pillow at night, and heavy grief sometimes washes over me, and I have to just find a quiet place. I know it will be this way for awhile, and I know that's okay.

But God, in His kindness, has given me eyes to see His many mercies, and a heart that can say, "It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes." (Psalm 119:71). To God be the glory!

Much love and thanks to all of you. Your kindness and compassion have been a comfort to my aching heart.


21 comments:

  1. can't think of anything to say to you right now besides "love you." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know your heart is heavy with
    grief. I'm sorry you are going
    through this. I know nothing happens to us that doesn't go through our GOD first. It's a comfort to me to know you are a strong person in the LORD. With
    His mercy and abundant grace you
    will get through this. I love you
    and I'm here for you.
    HUGS,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suffered a miscarriage back in 1995. I was heartbroken too. I'm so glad that I had God in my life or I wouldn't have been able to get past it. I have been praying for you daily. Continue to surround yourself in God's love. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. (((TRISHA))) What a WONDERFUL post. Amen, sister. I've been struggling a bit myself with some stuff and my sister shared this quote with me...

    "God knows that there are heavenly whispers that men cannot hear till the drought of trouble and perhaps weariness has silenced the babbling brooks of joy." Springs in the Valley

    I've been challenged to quit struggling in the midst of my little battles/trials...just to rest, wait patiently for the Lord (Psalm 37:7), stand still and wait for the salvation of the Lord, & hold my peace because the Lord will fight for me. (Exodus 14:13 & 15:11) I tend to try to figure everything out and "get myself out of my trials" and it NEVER works. I'm seeing more and more that it is IN and THROUGH our trials that we truly are able to focus on God.


    I so appreciate what you said. It's so easy to be all-consumed by our trials, grief, and frustrations. But GOD.

    I hope you know that I am not trying to minimize in any way your loss & real pain, friend! It is such a blessing to hear you pressing through the darkness to the light of Jesus!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful, beautiful post and testimony of God's grace at work in your life. You are such an inspiration.
    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a heartfelt inspirational post. No doubt an encouragement to so many more than you might ever know. I think sometimes it is just that. God uses these things in our lives to benefit others or to bring them to Him and we may never even know about it this side of eternity. Your faith and trust in Him will carry you through. Hugs to you today...still praying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Trisha I don't know if the tears ever fully stop. There are moments like this when I read your words that it makes my heart still grieve a little and the tears still fall.
    Loved your post-while I was reading it I was thinking about all Job endured and yet God knew what the outcome would be and how Job would respond and the glory it would bring God when during the trials he was enduring He was still faithful-still held on to His relationship with God, and God honored his faithfulness to Him.
    I am so sorry that your heart is hurting and that you have had to go through so many trials these last few months.
    When we are refined by the Maker's fire-He is turning us into something so beautiful-so pure-His imagine. Loving you friend. Praying for you today and always.
    Love you
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been thinking and praying for you. Encouraged to see your post today. Continued prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful post, Trisha. May God continue to receive glory in this furnace of affliction. Your testimony is coming forth as gold.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trisha I a so sorry and I will continue to keep you in prayer. As we were going through deep waters I too would wonder how someone without the Lord could stand, where do they find their comfort? Our God is faithful, that I know to be true. Praying God will give you peace and comfort during this time
    Blessings and Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Trisha, I so wish I could wrap my arms around you right this very minute! Love you, dear sister.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are loved. REST in HIM my precious friend. HE will daily give all you need. I KNOW. Praying for you.

    Much Love,
    Camille

    P.S. One of my friends reads your blog (and doesn't comment) and she was telling me last night that she is praying for you too. Thought you might like to know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amen to all the truth spoken here! Keep fixing your mind on truth!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So, so sorry...you said it better than I could have, having been in this same place a couple of times.

    I send my prayers, my shared tears and hugs!!!

    Love you and so, so sorry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, everyone, for your encouragement and prayers. I'm so blessed to know you, and I thank God for every one of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! I am so encouraged and glad that you are finding comfort in the Lord!

    You are still in our prayers, and we love you!

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am grateful for your life. You are light and salt in this world.

    You know how much I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Praying for God's comfort over you during this time. Amen and amen to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your post is a beautiful testimony of your faithful walk with the Lord. I think this verse is from the same Psalm of close by, "Before I was afflicted, I went astray."
    God bless you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so sorry for you and your family's loss. My heart breaks as I continue to pray for you all. I know the Lord is faithful and good, and will uphold you all. May you feel His comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It sure is good to see you back on here. You were missed and I sure love you a lot. I've got a big hug ready for you!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always a gift! Thank you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...