Saturday, October 29, 2011

When Darkness Settles In


"You can no more kill the darkness than you can raise the sun."
~Andrew Peterson

We woke up to a snow-spattered landscape the other morning, the clouds masking the mountains. It was quite beautiful, and I find days like these comforting and cozy.  But the darkness of it all reminds me of the place God has me now. Like a cloud, the heaviness hangs over me, and I feel I'm clinging with all my might to all the hope and joy that He's given me these past couple of weeks.

My flesh prefers short-term grief. I'd like to move on to the sunny paths of His providence, but my heart knows that there are priceless lessons to be learned right where I am. So, I'm praying for enough hope to not be overcome by despair, and I'm rejoicing that God has kept me so powerfully in this trial.

He's kept me from bitterness.
He's kept me from doubt.
He's kept me from murmuring and fist-shaking.

He's kept me rejoicing and moving through the days with increased dependence on Him.

It's all a gift of His infinite wisdom and His endless mercies. The growing pains. The grace. The eyes-wide-open to see the daily load of benefits I enjoy. I'm so thankful.

So, while I feel the darkness in an almost crushing way, my heart and lips are still spilling over with praise. I know. How can this be? Only God.

As He continues to refine me, by His grace, I know what I'll still be doing. I'll still be laughing with my children. I'll still be crying in the quiet. I'll still be making our home a place that reflects the love of Christ. I'll still be fighting. Not fighting against God's providence, but fighting hard and praying hard for a heart that doesn't cry to be moved from the darkness before I'm ready and for God to continue to be merciful to this slow learner. Oh, LORD, be merciful to me, a sinner!

And I'll still be on my knees for those who are in an even darker place. Praying you'll know God's peace and comfort and joy, right in the midst of your sorrow.

The darkness will last for a season, and God, in His perfect timing, will lift the heaviness, and we'll be walking in sunshine, stronger and more like Jesus, and ever ready to glorify Him when the darkness comes again.

"And call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honor me."
~Psalm 50:15

With love,



11 comments:

  1. Psalm 50:15 is one I have written
    upon my heart and He has proven
    true countless times. The comfort
    and reassurance of His great love
    for me is overwhelming in the most
    wonderful way.
    Your picture is just beautiful and
    autumn and winter weather makes me
    feel the same way.
    Have a blessed weekend with all
    your precious ones.
    Love & Prayers,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your faith and your transparency are an encouragement to me, Trisha. Thank you for sharing your heart and sharing the Truth. May God bless you as you seek to honor Him in this time of grief and suffering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your willingness to go through this time of suffering with the attitude that you have is both inspiring and encouraging to all those around you. I pray you continue to feel His peace and presence, and know that this season will pass eventually, and you will be closer to Him. HUGS to you today, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a blessing of a post.

    God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praising Him that His mercies are new every morning. Great is His faithfulness to us. Praying that soon those dark, heavy clouds will be lifted and you will walk in the sunshine again. Isn't it just like our sweet heavenly Father to be loving us and even having a purpose for the times in our life that are not bright and sunny-without the valley moments we would not know the blessings of the mountain tops. Praying for you today.
    Oh that snow is beautiful-I must admit I have grown into a true southerner after all the years in AR and now TX and I don't miss the months of cold and snow for months on end but it still is very beautiful and brings the reminder to me of God's grace-covering me and making me new every morning-taking my sin filled life and making it something beautiful.
    Love you friend. Hugs! Drink some warm cocoa today-love on those babies-bake something yummy for me :) (eat it in my honor:0)
    Happy Saturday!
    Love you
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. "My flesh prefers short-term grief. I'd like to move on to the sunny paths of His providence," - well said, your fortitude and trust are a blessing to watch from afar.
    Have a good day Sister,
    In Christ,
    Jojo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanking the Lord that you can abide in HIM while walking through your dark times. What would we do without HIM? You are a blessing to me~

    ~Cinnamon

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so blessed to read of how God is working in you & sustaining you during this very difficult time! Praying for you!!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  9. The picture is beautiful. I know
    you're going through a rough time right now and I'm praying for you,
    dear daughter. Wish I could give
    you a hug. It won't be long though.
    HUGS,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful words. They stir my soul, and I can only pray that when I walk through the storm, I can still give God the glory as you are doing.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always a gift! Thank you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...