Friday, October 28, 2011

Notes From the Reading Chair~Book Briefs



I think I lost my reading momentum back in June. I've gotten sidetracked with life's circumstances and have been reading books not even on my book list. Lately, I've been camped out in the Psalms for my Bible reading, and I've been devouring books about grief and affliction.

But, here are some thoughts on a few of the books I have managed to finish so far this year. Please remember that a recommendation doesn't mean I agree with EVERYTHING an author says nor everyone the author quotes, but that I do think a read is worthy of your time and effort.

A Place of Quiet Rest by Nancy Leigh DeMoss: Reading Nancy's books is like having tea and conversation with a true friend. She speaks the truth in love and does it well. This book focuses on cultivating a regular time with the Lord in the Word and in prayer.

I'll tell you now that I diverge from the many wise women and Moms who insist there's no need for a quiet time. I'll defend the necessity of this discipline, this habit, whatever you choose to call it, until I die, and this book is a great teacher for beginners as well as for Christians who have cherished their daily time alone with the LORD for years.

Facing Grief by John Flavel: Flavel was a Puritan writer. I bought this soon after my Dad died, and I found it most encouraging, and I highly recommend it with a couple of cautions. This is not the book to give to a mother who has just lost her baby. Flavel, though speaking the truth and knowing well the pain of losing a child, approaches the subject with some rough edges that I think might be discouraging for the newly grieving Mama.

I also don't recommend passing this book along to a weaker Christian who just lost a loved one. But, for the well grounded, mature Christian, Flavel's words will be convicting and comforting at the same time.

For the Love of God Vol. 1 by Don Carson: I love this book, even though I've gotten off track with it since my Dad died. Carson offers the "big picture" of God's Word in this devotional that is a great companion to your daily Bible reading. It covers the Bible in a year, and Carson offers a second volume as well. Highly recommended.

Death in Holy Orders by P.D. James: I read Children of Men by James several years ago, but I honestly couldn't remember enough about it to know if I should try another one of her books. Needing a break from the heaviness of some of my non-fiction reads, I decided to try this book. James is a captivating writer who knows how to tell a tale, keeping you in suspense at every turn of the page. However, there was too much sensuality in this story (and I'm thinking Children of Men was the same) for my comfort. I recommend Dorothy Sayers instead. Her Nine Tailors was an excellent, suspenseful read without the unsavory relationships and details.

Humility by C.J. Mahaney: This is probably my favorite read thus far this year. Highly recommended. We enjoyed this as a read aloud and found Mahaney to be practical, funny, and encouraging. If your family struggles with conflict or lack of unity or you find yourself struggling to find evidences of grace in those around you, read this book.

Making it All Work by David Allen: No, Allen is not a Christian, but when it comes to organizing and scheduling, he's spot on. His Getting Things Done method clicks with me, and I've found his books to be very beneficial, even though I'm a homemaker. I think his system is brilliant! Again, Allen is not a Christian and this is obvious in his writings, so proceed with caution if this might be a stumbling block for you.

The Power of Words and The Wonder of God by John Piper and Justin Taylor, editors: I was greatly encouraged and convicted by this book ,which is a collection of essays addressing the power of the tongue. I found it ironic that Mark Driscoll was a contributing writer, and I was offended by some of his potshots at homeschoolers, but found his essay, overall, surprisingly edifying. Even with Driscoll as a contributor, I recommend this book.

Treasury of David by Spurgeon: This is a collection of Spurgeon's writings on the Psalms, and it is wonderful! Highly recommended. I even sought out a used set because the current publications of this are abridged. I've been feasting on the Psalms for several months now and have found these books to be great companions.

Contentment: A Godly Woman's Adornment by Lydia Brownback: Wonderful book that gets to the heart of our murmurings and disputings. I found her essays so encouraging, I quickly finished this one. Makes a great gift.

The Real Scandal of the Evangelical Mind by Carl Trueman: "What is an evangelical....and has he lost his mind?" Great read worth your time. Be prepared to read it a couple of times. Trueman is brilliant.

Large Family Logistics by Kim Brenneman: Even if you don't have a large family, you'll find this book helpful. Brenneman deals with the practical and with the heart. Encouraging and brief chapters that cover everything from scheduling to pregnancy to feast nights to homeschooling. A great reference to have on hand and go back to again and again.

Read on!

With love,



7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your list, Trisha. I lived in the Psalms for a few years, too.

    Thanks for the Truman recommendation. I've been wanting to read something by him. I like his razor sharp mind and wit. I've set aside Carson for this year, but it's a wonderful book and I want to return.

    Flavel is one of my favorite puritans, but they can be blunt without our modern-day sensibility, even though they suffered tremendously. Perhaps it's the 300 year difference in mindsets and expression.

    Ditto your recommendation on Sayers. Lord Peter is one of my favorite sleuths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks...I was going to post some words out of each book I am reading that just hit me in the face.

    These look great...have some of these....and yes, continue to read, it will restore your soul!!!

    Blessings, hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Persis,
    You'd like the brief read by Trueman....the only problem is that it's only offered for the Kindle. Another one in book form that I've only started is The Wages of Spin. Ink and my Beloved, knowing that I like Trueman,picked it up for me at the Ligonier conference. And, yes, Flavel and the other Puritans knew so much heartache, which is why I especially love to listen to them. Puritan writings have been such an encouragement to me, and I'm sorry I hadn't discovered them earlier.

    Janette,
    That's a great idea to post quotes/ideas from each book. :) I always have several books going at one time. Maybe if I didn't do that I'd finish more of them. LOL Thank you for your prayers. They are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list. Hope you have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much! I'm getting a good Christmas list started!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! Our weekly Wednesday night Bible study group is currently reading a C.J. Mahaney book titled Living the Cross Centered Life. We are all enjoying it!

    So nice stopping by and catching up ~ sweet post about the cornstarch mishap and the camera :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooooo!!! Yay!!! Book recommendations from my wise Trisha!!! Thank you for sharing these, friend!!! And my favorite line on this post is, "I'll defend the necessity of this discipline, this habit, whatever you choose to call it, until I die...". Ha! AGREED! And I can picture you saying that with all the firecracker passion wrapped in your sweet little mama exterior. Go mama!!! Amen!

    Love you, friend.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always a gift! Thank you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...