I recently finished a wonderful book full of much wisdom. One of the author's cautions regarded a woman's "need to know." Any wife who's asked her husband, "So what's going on?" after listening to her husband talk to a friend or family member, and then hears, "Nothing," knows what I mean.
You know there was something going on. Otherwise, why were they on the phone for 20 minutes? Did little Johnny break his arm? Did someone get a new car?
The author was asking if knowing any of this is helping our families grow in godliness. Of course, she made the distinction between praying for others and mere gossip, and her point was a good one.
This made me think of how well the "need to know" stays fat and happy in the blogosphere. There's plenty out there that we can get caught up in "knowing." There's a danger there of neglecting our families while our heads are swimming in a sea of meaningless (to us) details about the lives of many people we've never even met.
But I also thought of the blessing of "needing to know" when it comes to that small group of faithful blogging friends who do care about your daughter's fifth birthday or the your joy of feeling your baby move.
When I shared about the crazy, but God-ordained, events of our week so far, my heart wanted to declare the wondrous works of our LORD, and I wanted to encourage another heart. I blinked, and I found so many good words and prayers in the comment box, sincere and encouraging.
My heart overflows with thanks for every one of you, and this is another kindness from the LORD that humbles me.
Women are relational. It's often the small details of our lives that bind our hearts even closer together. Of course, there's a balance in it all. We have to guard ourselves from letting the "need to know" take over, or perhaps just letting it be a "need" at all. We have to stay away from blog hopping that resembles the traveling from house to house and getting the latest gossip that Paul speaks of in 1 Timothy. We have to remember the danger of pursuing on-line relationships at the expense of knowing those around us.
But praise God for the ones who rejoice with us and weep with us, fellow Christians who have never met us in person, but who, we know, are praying for us and encouraging us to fight the good fight and finish the race well.
This is something truly good to know.
With love,
Trisha
Making Your Home an Oasis
3 years ago
Oh Trisha...I have often thought that very thing...about the warning against going from *house to house*...SO True in the context of blogging!! Yet, on the flip side, we can forge true friendships and really get to know a *few* precious friends without losing our moorings in this blog world too. Thank you for sharing your heart and for once again your wisdom.
ReplyDeleteI'm a sporadic visitor due to life around here...but, you know you are a precious friend to me, right? :)
Much Love,
Camille
Trisha - You are such a blessing. Hugs to you today!
ReplyDeleteOh, I definitely struggle with the need to know. The Lord has been refining me by 18 months of not knowing what is ahead of us. It has changed me and strengthened my faith, but I need much more growth in that area. Been thinking of you today without a dryer. Hope the van trips go well and safely.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I rarely comment, I often check out your blog. I love your honesty, the wonderful Christ-centered quotes and the smiling faces of your children!
ReplyDeleteCamille,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your constant encouragement, my friend! And, of course, I understand! Priorities, my dear, priorities! I love you, and we continue to pray for you and Austin and the rest of your dear family.
Jessica,
Aw, thank you, sweet sister!
Jen,
I'd love to hear all that God has done in your life of late. Truly, what a refining fire you have been in. I always appreciate your comments and your encouragement is truly a blessing!
Yes...
ReplyDeleteAnd the fact that I don't always leave a comment on your blog has to do with the fact that I have been trying to guard against this very thing - and as a result, I am reading blogs less than before. Not because I care less, but because I care more for my family and that is a priority. (I still enjoy reading my favourite blogs - including yours - just not as frequently!)
My children thank me for spending more time off the computer during their day... And that is such a blessing.
((hugs)) my friend....
You felt your baby move??!!!!
ReplyDeleteSeriously, these are good ponts to remember. I blog and comment far less than the first year or two when I confess, I was hooked. Too many real life people are relying on us to allow the unseen ones priority.
God bless.