"Restaurant-Quality Baked Potato Soup"
(We don't like this name, but I guess it says a lot about the fact that people don't cook at home as much as they used to...)(This makes 6 servings. I made 1-1/2 times this recipe for our family.)
2 potatoes
3 T. butter
2 c. chopped onion
2 T. all purpose flour
4 c. chicken stock
2 c. water
1/4 c. cornstarch
1-1/2 c. potato flakes
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. ground pepper
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/8 tsp. dried thyme
1 c. half and half
1/2 c. shredded cheddar
8 oz. bacon, cooked and crumbled ( I just used real bacon bits)
2 green onions, chopped
Cook potatoes at 450 for 45 min. to 1 hour, or until done. Set aside to cool. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Saute onions until tender and golden brown. Stir in flour, and cook 5 minutes to make a roux. Pour in chicken stock and water. Add cornstarch and mashed potato flakes. Season with salt, basil, and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove skin from cooled potatoes and discard. Dice potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes, and stir into soup, along with half and half. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until thick. Spoon into bowls and garnish with cheese, bacon, and green onion.
~from Allrecipes.com
Of course, we needed a yummy bread to serve with the soup, and my garlic-cheese biscuits seemed perfect. The basic biscuit is from Martha's Family Cookery Book, and I've combined suggestions from other recipes to come up with this final one.
Queen Mom's Garlic-Cheese Biscuits
2 c. unbleached flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
4 T. shortening
1 c. buttermilk
3/4 c. shredded cheese (more to your liking...)
Mix flour, soda, powder, salt and garlic powder together. Cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Add buttermilk and stir gently to make a soft dough. Add cheddar cheese. Roll out dough on floured surface, and cut out biscuits with biscuit cutter. Place on baking sheet greased with butter, and bake at 400 degrees on top rack for about 12-15 minutes, or until done. Mix 1/4 c. melted butter with 1/2 tsp. garlic powder and brush over tops of biscuits.
Okay, I coming to storm the house and demand some! Your posts on recipes always catch me just before dinner and I just sit and stare at the pictures and drool on the keyboard...
ReplyDeleteLove you!
Medora
C'mon on over, dear Medora! You know we're always glad to break bread with you!
ReplyDeleteLove you,
Queen Mom
That sounds good... we love potato soup too...I don't bake biscuits but we like the cheese bisciuts fron Red Lobster... love ya...Ruth & Ralph
ReplyDeleteThe soup and biscuits sound delicious. I'll have to break down and make them. I'm sure your dad would enjoy them. He appreciates a "home cooked" meal, and I should cook more than I do. I'd rather be
ReplyDeleteat your home and eat your cooking.
I'm proud of you, Queen Mom. Thanks for keeping up the blog.
LOVE
MOM
Mm!! We are definetly going to have to try those!! We love potatoe soup and biscuits!! We tried your muffins that you posted earlier and although the idea of chocolate chip muffins sounds odd to me, I thought that the choc. ones were better than the blueberry ones we made!! ;)
ReplyDeleteLove you all!!
Sarah
Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine anyone thinking chocolate chip muffins sound odd! :) I do hope you enjoyed them, though. Scribe and Mountain Man love blueberry muffins, and I do need to make those more.
Love you!