For those of you who are perhaps not familiar with the authors, I'll go ahead and do a little intro. Christopher Hitchens is a popular and renowned athiest, journalist, and author, whose works include God Is Not Great. He was also named as one of the "Top 100 Public Intellectuals" by Britain's Prospect, and Foreign Policy. Douglas Wilson is pastor at Christ Church in Moscow, ID, and a Senior Fellow at New Saint Andrews College. He has penned many books, among which is Letter from a Christian Citizen.
So, now that you have some idea of who the authors are, I'll begin the review. First of all, as you can easily deduce, if you put a Christian apologist and an athiest head-to-head in a debate, the result is not gonna be pretty. In fact, the quote on the back of the book says it all: "Put two contrarians together and shake well." - Christianity Today
Secondly, if I had to describe this book in one word, it be: awesome! Wilson masterfully deals with everything Hitchens throws at him, defending the beliefs of Christianity, and trouncing(if I may use that word) every atheistic argument his opponent uses. In fact, Wilson argues so convincingly, scripturally, and with such an engaging style, that you cannot help but say "Amen!" every time he finishes a response. It is really an exciting book, and once you start it, you won't want to put it down. However, I warn you that the way Hitchens talks about God, His precepts, and His Word should be, at the very least, disturbing. It was to me. It is almost amazing to listen to this man blaspheme and deny the One who made him, and gives him his very next breath. Really, I do not know if I could comport myself with such Christian restraint as Wilson displayed. For my part, I felt like socking Hitchens every time he mocked or ridiculed Christianity and God. I know that it would not be Christ-like to do so, and I'm sorry to say I haven't quite mastered self-control, but all the same, that's how I felt.
And really, we should also be sorry for Hitchens, and pray for his salvation (Psa. 130:4). Set as he may be in atheism, nothing is impossible for God, and we must fervently ask the Lord to open this man's eyes to the error of his ways, removing the scales from his eyes as He did from Saul's (Acts 9:17-18).
Another thing to consider is the orgin of true wisdom and true knowledge. Hitchens was named one of the world's "Top 100 Public Intellectuals". I do not deny for a moment that he is extremely smart and capable. Yet are worldy intelligence and wisdom the same thing? According to Scripture, I think not. Look at Job 28:28; Prov. 1:7; 2:1-6; 15:33; 28:7. These passages are just a few of a multitude of Scriptures which speak of true wisdom, knowledge, and understanding. A man may have all the 'knowledge' of the world within his brain, and if he has not the fear of the Lord in his heart, it is nothing. Worldy knowledge and understanding will not open the gate of Heaven, or save you from the depths of Hell. Only Jesus' redeeming blood can do that.
So, to wrap up, I'll just say that debates like this one are really just small battles in the great war which Satan has waged against God and His people since the beginning of time. We must study the Scriptures diligently ourselves, that, when the time comes, we might know how to defend our faith (1 Pet. 3:15-16). The Armor of God (Eph. 6:10-18) is vital, and without it, a Christian cannot survive in the fight against the devil. A Christian who does not wear it is unable to defend himself or his beliefs and will fall prey to the wiles of Satan. So let us study the Bible, pray, and fight the good fight!"
Persevero,
Scribe
Scribe! Fantastic book review! I look forward to reading that book sometime. I have a fairly slow reading speed and it takes forever to read books but hopefully this turtle will someday make be able to read it. =)
ReplyDeleteYour style of writing never ceases to amaze me! Did you write a draft on the book review? You did a great job! Continue to use your fabulous talents for God's glory!
Hi Marissa,
ReplyDeleteI think my Scribe will be too humble to reply, so his dear Mama will chime in that no, he didn't do a rough draft...those seem a foreign concept to him!:) And since he does so well at writing things the first time, it's hard to convince him of the need to write several drafts before having a finished product.:) Now, I need to read the book! We might be turtles, dear friend, but slow and steady often wins the race, right? Love you,
Queen Mom
Scibe, another great post. You
ReplyDeletecontinually amaze me. I'm so thankful to God for you. The book does sound like a good read. I've still got a lot of the Holliness
book to get through. I thank God every day for all my grandchildren in N.M. Much Love to you,I miss all
of you so very much.
MeMaw
Scribe, What a fantastic reveiw! I am going to have to look for that book! I love debates like that becuase you can always see God at work! :)
ReplyDeleteYou are truly gifted with writing talents! That is so wonderful because I can never take my eyes off of the post when I am reading; I am that enthralled!! ;)
Yes, it is so sad to see all of those athiests and such! :( I just feel so sorry for them. Here, they have all those debates which can clearly prove them wrong and yet they still persist in NOT realizing the Truth (or if they do, they don't turn from their own ways.)
You would really enjoy this movie called "Expelled" with Ben Stien (sp?). He is a Jew, but he is just questioning athiests reasons for beleiving in what they do. It was REALLY good!! :)
Keep up the good work, Scribe!
Reaching for Him, Sarah
That was really good, Scribe. We have the manuscript of the book here (it's not even bound; just a stack of paper fastened with a paper clip.) We have only one copy, so everyone vied for the honor of being the first to read it, but Mom won out. So until I can get my paws on that powerful little volume, I'll content myself with reading reviews on it. And may I say that your review does you credit. But there is one thing you forgot to add, and that is that Hitchens and Wilson are actually very good friends, and enjoy each other's company as much as a hard-core atheist and a hard-core Reformed pastor can. You guys were the ones who told me that. But maybe God will work through the Wilsons and bring about a miracle, and astound the world with the conversion of one of the top 100 intellectuals.
ReplyDeleteGod's will be done!
Medora