Isn't it lovely? This is what I woke up to this morning. The house is quiet now, except for the humming of the dishwasher, and everyone except me is still asleep. That's how life goes when you eat dinner at 9:15, do your Advent readings at 10:30 at night, and the children don't get to bed until 11:30.
After being gone yesterday for doctor's appointments and getting out of our routine, the house is a wreck and lesson plans still need to be finished. My to-do list keeps growing, and my dread of Friday's appointment to have my stitches removed looms over me just a bit too much.
Speaking of appointments, yesterday's visit to the dermatologist to have my bandage changed was....well...painful. The nurse did a thorough cleaning (I don't think she's ever had a MOHS procedure done) and instructed me on how to change the bandage myself. The doctor said everything looks like it's healing great, (Praise God!), but they still seemed a bit perplexed that my nose HURT when they touched it. ( I'm thinking it might be nice if doctors could experience some kind of virtual reality that was truly reality by having the very procedures done on themselves that they frequently do on their patients. It might improve that compassion quotient just a bit more...just a random thought. ) I'm supposed to do this tedious bandage changing twice a day until Friday.
Enter my Beloved to the rescue. He changed the bandage last night while all of the curious children looked on. The comments ranged from "It's not bad at all, Mommy," to "Yes, it is bad," with Mommy trying not to cry and pass out in between.:) Mountain Man was as gentle as he could be and did such a great job. And God, in His infinite compassion, worked it out that my Beloved would be home to today if the weather was bad (see the snow above in case you're wondering if he'll be staying home). If I can make it through this week without looking at my incision, which, by the way, the doctor and staff think is necessary for my emotional well-being--looking at their beautiful work, that is--then, that's what I'm going to do. After hearing Reaches Up describe my nose as "having a bunch of needles sticking out of it," I'm simply not inclined to examine my nose and all eleven stitches so I can praise the handiwork of my doctor.
Okay....I think the title of this post was something about the snow...anyway, I think it's wonderful that today's Advent activity for the children is to make those fascinating paper snowflakes and decorate the windows. What can put us more in the mood than watching the real snowflakes fall outside our window as we thank the One who made them?
So, I'll just grab my cup of tea and delight in the riches of God's Word while everything is still quiet, knowing that He'll give me the right perspective on this messy house, my painful nose, the things I still haven't done, and whether or not we should call it a "Snow Day."
Love,
Queen Mom
How fun! We woke up to snow this morning as well. The boys are currently out playing in it. Isn't it so awesome to see how God works in even small ways to bless us and bring us joy such as how he planned that it would snow last night and how He made you put the snowflake activity for today? He is so incredible! Enjoy the rest of your snow day! =)
ReplyDeleteHugs,
~Rissie
I couldn't help but chuckle as I read your comment about "doctors" needing to experience the things that patients go thru...to "increase their compassion quotient"....That makes me feel a bit better about the comment I made to the Physician's assistant and her assistants after crawling off the table after my last bone marrow biopsy as I had actually bellowed out in pain during the procedure for the first time out of probably a couple dozen of these same procedures over the past 5 years...I actually said..."I think the medical staff should have to experience this so they will understand the patient better"...I felt badly after I realized I had said that out loud...but there is a bit of truth to the idea...it is amazing how much compassion experience produces. :)
ReplyDeleteI will be praying that Friday's appointment goes surprisingly well for you and that it will be virtually painless!!! Love you my cuz!!
Michele :)
The snow looks beautiful !!!!!
ReplyDeleteI cringe when I think of the pain you are going through.I pray it will get better each day, and that
Friday God will allow the pain to be minimal.Moms never like to see their children suffer regardless of their age. Enjoy the snow.
LOVE YOU,
MM
Oh, my dear cuz, your comments do make me feel a bit ashamed...I know my nose "stuff" is nothing compared to all the painful things you've had to endure over the past 5 years! And my cancer is so easily curable...just cut out the spot. You're absolutely right to have admonished the staff to be a bit more compassionate....I think it's so forgotten in the medical field because they see so much everyday. Please forgive me if I sounded like a whiny baby I love you and admire your resiliant spirit!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Queen Mom
Beautiful snow!
ReplyDeleteOh Mrs. Poff!! I am so sorry that your nose is still hurting!! It is no fun I am sure! Isn't it wonderful about Homeschooling though? All the kids want to see hwat it looks like and think that it is interesting! ;)
I am still praying!!
Love you dear friend!
Sarah
Hey Trish...hope your nose get to felling better soon... I know none of it is fun... how much snow did you get?? we had a tad of rain today.. we will pray that it doesn't hurt to much Friday.. will be praying for ya.. love ya.. Ruth & Ralph
ReplyDeleteSnow..how awesome. I hope we see some snow this winter as long as I can be inside looking out. But we don't usually receive much snow here. Thanks for posting the pictures. Trish, take care of "you" right now and don't worry about the house. You have a good excuse now to just try to relax and get well. You continue to be in my prayers. Love you, marian
ReplyDelete