"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith..." (Hebrews 12:2)
I had my stitches taken out yesterday. I don't want to bore you with details, but I'll sum things up by saying that it didn't go as I hoped, expected, wished, prayed, etc. It made me reflect on my medical experiences, from taking a prescribed medication and having the reaction that only less than 1% of the population would ever get, to having major surgery and coping with complications that just aren't typical, as well as a constitution that seems to require much more pain medicine than the average Joe. I sometimes feel like the poster child for Murphy's Law (if anything can go wrong it will), but as a Christian, the reality is that I'm simply the clay being molded by the Potter.
I asked Mountain Man what lessons he thought I should be learning from repeated struggles with medical procedures and medications not working as they're supposed to, and he reminded me that "It could be worse." Instead of being frustrated that it was painful to have some of the stitches removed, I can be thankful that all of them weren't painful. Instead of being distressed that part of the wound is still open, I can be thankful that some of it closed up. Instead of being weary of this not being over, I can be thankful for the gift of time and for God's purposes in all things. I know....perspective changes everything.
That thought made me wonder (kind of sounds like "If You Give a Mom a Muffin..") why my initial expectations are so easily frustrated to begin with. Why do I expect a certain medication to do a certain thing, or a certain procedure to be easy or difficult, painful or not. It's because I wrap my expectations tightly around everyone else's experiences or advice and hold loosely to the fact that God's plan for me might be very different.
Just because one friend had no complications from surgery doesn't mean I can expect the same. Just because the doctor's say all will go well doesn't mean I can hold that as a promise. The only sure thing in any of it is God's love for me, and His promises abundantly found in His Word. When my eyes are fixed on everyone else's experiences, I can't have them fixed on Christ and His provision for whatever I'm facing.
There's much comfort in hearing how things have gone for others...things that we're facing ourselves. It doesn't just have to be medical procedures. We want to know if a certain curriculum worked, if a certain parenting approach was successful...we want guarantees ahead of time that if we do A, we'll be certain to get B. Learning from each other is very edifying and beneficial, except when a certain result becomes such the expectation that anything else causes discontent or defeat or discouragement. My life is in the Hands of my Sovereign Lord...it is molded by His will, not by my friend's experience or what everyone else says should happen.
My life is also a loud reminder that God has worked the opposite way as well, often defying medical expectations with His healing and deliverance. I've discounted much advice from medical experts, choosing to wait instead on God's healing. Mercifully, He's done that many times...the unexpected, the welcomed surprise. I didn't question those times. I just eagerly grasped His will for me, certainly not whining because things didn't work out as miserably as everyone said they would.
But my flesh isn't so gracious when things don't go as I hoped, planned, or was told. And so I let go of those expectations, and instead patiently wait for His will to be done, not rushing through what He has planned for me and the wonderful opportunities to grow in my walk with Him, but instead, keeping my eyes fixed on Him, knowing His plan is working for me a "far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory," (2. Cor. 4:17) than I, in my own wisdom, could ever design.
"Ah, sirs, let me tell you, there is not such a pleasant history for you to read in all the world as the history of your own lives, if you would but sit down and record from the beginning hitherto what God has been to you, and done for you; what signal manifestations and outbreakings of His mercy, faithfulness and love there have been in all the conditions you have passed through. If your hearts do not melt before you have gone half through that history, they are hard hearts indeed. 'My Father, though art the guide of my youth' (Jer. 3:4)."~John Flavel, The Mystery of Providence
Love,
Queen Mom
Trisha - thank you so much for posting this. I am sorry that the healing process is proving to be at least as difficult, if not more so, than the surgery. I am praying for you my dear friend.
ReplyDeleteI am so encouraged by your post! You have such a way of articulating what the rest of us just hold as thoughts. Thank you for putting your thoughts to words (all those years of journalling pay off, I see).
God is using you to teach not only the precious blessings He has placed in your home but also the many people He blesses with your friendship.
Keep looking to God for your expectations!
Hi Trish.... sorry this is not healing well... sure hope there is no infection... we know you want this to be healed and better right now!!!! but it will take time...then everything will be ok and all the cancer will be gone and you will be back to your self ...feeling good and have that little girl..... we love you.... Ralph & Ruth
ReplyDeleteI love you Trisha!!! Keep the faith my friend...keep the faith! :) I'm still praying for you and thinking about you!! :)
ReplyDeleteHi,Trish. I'm sorry things didn't go as well as you were hoping but I guess that's God's way of making us keep our eyes on Him. I have found in my life that when I have expectations then I usually get disappointed. You are in my prayers and I know you are going to get better soon. When do you go
ReplyDeleteback to the doctor?
I spent the day with your mom so that was good. I always hate to leave her.
I love you and pray tomorrow is
a better day. Hugs, Marian