Here's the list of our Advent activities:
1) Discuss Daddy's sermon about Advent during lunch
2) List five activities you enjoy doing this time of year. (I use this to help plan our 12 Days of Chirstmas)
3) Begin memorizing (again) Luke 2:1-21 (have ready by Christmas Day)
4) Enjoy milkshakes for breakfast
5) Pick out a new Christmas CD or make your own Christmas mix on I-Tunes (you must all agree)
6) Write a love note to Daddy.
7) Decorate our Christmas tree, and watch "A Charlie Brown Christmas" together.
8) Consider one sin you're struggling with and commit to pray about it every day during Yuletide. Share with Mommy or Daddy so they can pray for you and help you be accountable.
9) Do a chore for one of your siblings....CHEERFULLY!
10) Make snowflakes and decorate the windows.
11) Write a note to a friend letting him/her know what you appreciate about your friendship.
12) See the River of Lights at the Botanical Gardens.
13) List 3 things you love about each family member and leave the list in his/her mailbox.
14) Help Mommy address Christmas cards.
15) Pick a sibling you have a difficult time getting along with and play a game together.
16) Send a note of gratitude to your grandparents.
17) Have a tea party with tea and scones.
18) Pair up with a younger sibling, and list 5 attributes of God, supported by Scripture. Close your time together by thanking God for who He is.
19) Secretly do something nice for one of your siblings. At the end of the day, each person will guess what was done and who did it.
20) Watch Dickens' "A Christmas Carol."
21) Bake gifts for friends and neighbors.
22) Which sibling do you have the most difficult time being kind to? Be intentional about telling this sibling you love him/her and then commit to pray every day during Yuletide that God would make your heart tender towards this sibling.
23) Have breakfast for dinner...pancakes, eggs, and bacon.
24) Listen to the audio of "A Christmas Carol" while driving through town looking at Christmas lights.
25) Play Phase 10 and open one gift.
P.S. Remember the children haven't seen these, yet, so try not to mention them!:)
I love it, love it, love it Mrs. Poff!!!!! You are so creative. I like how you put up simple things (things that you can actually accomplish). We do many of the same things, but it makes it so much more special and conscious to have it "planned" for the day. Will you re-use this calendar, or will you make a new one next year? It is so neat to be seeing all the inventive ways you are coming up with to help you and your family be intentional! (I am writing down ideas from you to use when I have a family =)
ReplyDeleteWONDERFUL!!! I have not even put up the advent calendar the last several years because it just didn't fit with the focus of Christmas (too commercial). This is a great way to put those things that we try to do this time of year into a day by day purposeful way. Thanks for sharing and many hugs sent your way this week. We'll be praying Friday!!!!!
ReplyDeleteThat is such a neat idea!! I lvoe how you are so creative with those sorts of things to make them more enjoyable for the little ones!!
ReplyDeleteI love all the bright colors!! HAHA!!
Love you!
Sarah
What a wonderful idea! If you don't mind I'd love to copy your idea (and some of your specifics). You are so creative. Of course I know that might be infringing on your copyright. :-) I'm so thankful that my girls have someone so intentional, committed, and creative than their mother is to look up to. Thanks for being a great mentor in their lives!!!!
ReplyDeleteCaity,
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you like the idea! I surprised even myself with its simplicity. If it is complicated, I usually never get around to doing it. I'll just make a new one each year since the materials are inexpensive, and I just don't have space to store one more thing!:)
Love you,
Queen Mom
Thank you for the prayers, Cathy! I'm glad you liked the idea--it's nice to customize, isn't it? Our love to you all!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you like the idea, Linda, and of course, you can copy to your heart's content! I'm glad you think I'm a "great mentor" (I'm chuckling as I write that..), but the real question is....when will you let me take the girls SHOE SHOPPING?
ReplyDeleteLove you!
Wow...who would have ever thought that little blonde headed girl who talked her daddy into taking her to 7'Eleven to get candy almost every day would grow up to be such a terrific and creative mom!!! You are truly my hero...and I mean that sincerely. Your kids are going to have such good memories of their childhood and the creativeness and intentionalness you naturally weave into their lives....keep up the good work my dear cuz!! I love you!!
ReplyDeleteMichele
Ha, Ha, Michele! I don't even remember all of those trips to the 7-11, but I do still have quite the sweet tooth. I think I'm one of the few Mamas who buys candy for herself.:) You'd better enter our contest!
ReplyDeleteLove you!
What a nice thing to do. It's something to look forward to every day. Wish I could be there to enjoy the time with you. Love all of you.
ReplyDeleteMuch Love sent your way.
Mom/Memaw
Trish, you are truly a "super mom" and I so admire you. I just don't know how you find the time to do all the things that you accomplish. Your children are so blessed to have a mom and dad who teach them the things of God on a daily basis. Tbe Advent Calendar is such a good idea and you are so creative.
ReplyDeleteTrish, please know that I will be praying for you, your family and your doctor Friday.
Love you, Marian