I'm sorry I didn't get this posted yesterday, especially since I know that so many of you have been praying for me. Here's an update and a list of God's many blessings...
Mountain Man and I left for my appointment around 7:45, and the ride was already becoming stressful. I made sure I ate breakfast, but the closer we got to town, the fainter I felt. As we pulled up to the doctor's office, I told my Beloved I felt like I was going to pass out. He so kindly prayed with me, that God would calm me and give me a sense of peace. (And I know that's what everyone else had been praying, too.) I took a deep breath, and we went inside, did all the paperwork, and waited for the nurse to call me. She soon took me back to the surgery room and said my doctor would be in to talk with me.
As I'm sitting in this freezing room waiting for the doctor to come in, my eyes just start wandering. I see the big overhead light, the surgical instruments on the table, and I immediately clue in to the fact that, unlike their other examining rooms, there is no mirror in this one! That's all it takes for this Queen Mom to start shedding tears. I keep telling myself to calm down, but when the doctor comes in, the tears flow even more. In His kindness, God gives my doctor compassion for me, and instead of the "This is no big deal" talk, I get as much encouragement as one can before having pieces of flesh cut from my nose without any idea how much or how my nose will be put back together.
After an initial mildly painful numbing, the surgery begins. Praise God I didn't feel a thing on that first round, and just a bit later, the doctor came in to tell me that there was only a little of the cancer left. Of course, I have to be numbed again, and the nurse mentioned that she was giving me extra numbing medicine for the suturing that would be done at the end. They finish
the cutting, and I sit there and patiently wait, trying to concentrate on the final pages of Oliver Twist, which by the way is quite depressing....murder, betrayal, etc.
About 30 minutes pass by, and I start to feel burning and stinging, and I'm thinking that there's no way they won't have to numb me again before closing me up! Sure enough, the final numbing was the worst....six injections around my nose, and the initial ones made me want to get off that table. The doctor decides that the best way to close up the wound is to do a skin graft, so she takes skin from the upper area of my nose (can't imagine what kind of puzzle my nose is going to look like!). Things are going fine until I start to feel the pulling of my skin...that is so disturbing...and then the numbing wears off a bit, and I feel one of the cuts. My only thought is, "Please, Lord, let them be done soon!"
Everything is closed up, and now the nurse has to apply a "pressure-point" bandage, which is quite large and bulky. The goal is to make sure the graft takes, and the wound starts to heal. The bandage is put on very tightly, and the nurse gives me a mirror. Surely influenced by the fact that this book is one we're currently listening to on audio, I immediately think I look like Pinocchio.
This bandage will have to stay on until Monday when I return to have them change it out for a new one. I'm still not planning on looking....even then! I'll go back next Friday to have the stitches removed and return the following Friday for another check-up to make sure the graft is doing well.
I know pain. I've been through quite a bit of it with complications from Crohn's, including a surgery for it, and I've had 5 c-sections, several of which had their own complications, including a torn bladder with last one, so I'm really perplexed with why this seemingly "simple" procedure has gotten me so worked up. Yet, it has reminded me of the great compassion that God has on me and my sinful flesh. I've had to cling to Him every moment, and He's blessed me with family and friends who have so faithfully been praying for me and ministering to me in very practical ways. So, let me get on to the wonderful blessings from God!
~My Beloved was with me yesterday, praying with me and for me, and holding my hand. I can't imagine having gone through this without him, and I'm so thankful God has given me a husband who takes care of me so faithfully.
~I had so many family and friends praying for me, and letting me know they were praying for me, either sending me an e-mail or calling me. It is such a comfort and blessing to have others bless you with words of encouragement and kindness!
~My Beloved and another friend take turns preparing the sermons at our church right now. This weekend was My Beloved's turn, but our good friend so kindly offered to take that over this weekend while offering help for anything else we might need. What a priceless gift that is! Thank you!
~Sweet Marissa convinced me to let them bring over dinner last night (it didn't take too much arm twisting), and the Spencer family blessed us with 2 delicious homemade pizzas and even made a coffee cake to enjoy this morning! They have their own large and busy family, and yet, they made time to bless us in a such a big way!
~We came home yesterday to smiling children,who immediately showed compassion for their Mama and presented to us a clean and tidy home as well as love notes for Daddy left on our bed (that was their Advent activity). I'm blessed with so much more than I deserve, and I do think I have the world's greatest children!
I'll end here by asking for prayer for the following:
~that the graft would take and everything would heal nicely
~that I would be able to manage the pain...I never could quite get it under control yesterday and didn't get any relief until early this morning. Of course, it doesn't help that anytime you move any part of your face, your nose is affected! :)
And, please, be sure to praise God for His goodness and mercy, which never cease to amaze me.
Love to you all and many thanks,
Queen Mom
Making Your Home an Oasis
3 years ago
Oh, gosh Mrs. Poff!! I jsut hate surgeries! :( I had to get this little bump on my nose removed (You might remember seeing me with that little bump on the side of my nose) and boy, I did not enjoy it at all! So, I feel for you!! :)
ReplyDeleteI am still praying, dear friend, that everything will go well! I am so thankful that God has been blessing you so much this past week! I am not the least bit surprised that those sweet children of yours cleaned your house! :)
Love you!
Sarah
Thank you, sweet Sarah! Your kind words are always such an encouragement to me. Love you much,
ReplyDeleteQueen Mom
Hi Dear Daughter.
ReplyDeleteI'm so thankful all went as well as could be expected. I can't imagine going through a procedure on my nose. I praise God you must be feeling a little better since you posted today ( which I didn't expect to see when I checked your blog. I'm so thankful for your friends and Ben and your precious children being so helpful and supportive. You are in my thoughts and prayers continually. Sorry I can't be there, but I guess it just isn't meant to be. Love you lots and so proud of you.
LOVE AND PRAYERS,
MOM
Mrs. Poff! I am so thankful that it is over and behind you! I am continuing to pray that God will heal your nose quickly and take away the pain. It was such a blessing to make the pizza for you all! I really wanted to help in some way. I know we'll probably not see you tomorrow but I will still be thinking about you and praying for you. I love you dear friend more than words can describe.
ReplyDelete~Rissie <3
I am so glad to see your post...I have been praying for you and thinking about you and got an update from Mom last night...I didn't expect to see a post from you so soon!! I am so sorry the experience was so traumatic!! You are so courageous and always muster the strength to meet whatever challenge lies before you!! Isn't it so good to have God with you and even though we might not ALWAYS feel Him...knowing He is there lets us know we are not alone!! I wish I were there to pamper you, but God has given you an awesome husband and children to do just that! Take care my cuz! You are the best!!
ReplyDeleteLove you so much!!
Michele :)
I hope you are feeling better now, Mrs. Poff! I will be praying that everything worked well and you don't have to do this again!
ReplyDeleteYou do have sweet children to make you a clean house to come home to. I know how hard that is without Mommy there. :)
Love,
Rebecca
Hi Trish...hope you are feeling some better now...I understand how you felt laying there thinking about it.. I had about a month or more to wait before my surgery... I cried every night for 2 wks before the day..we have been praying for you and gave a report to the Church today.. and you were in our morning prayers.. proud of you... and Benjie is pretty good guy to have around... we are proud of the littles ones too.....love you.. granma & pa-paw
ReplyDeleteHi, Trish. I'm so glad you are feeling somewhat better. You are truly blessed with a wonderful family and caring friends. You and your family continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteLove you! auntie marian
I was just laughing over that little bit you added about Oliver Twist=depression. I know what you mean. That book (and may I add, Dickens overall?) is disspiriting. I can only imagine what reading it at that time caused you to feel! Please know that we are praying for you, and that you are beautiful on the inside, and that that is what counts, even though others may look outside. And don't worry! You'll recover and be back to normal, and astonishing us all with your vivacity and get-it-doneness. We all love you!
ReplyDelete